Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Announce : a new version of fetchmail for SME

schirrms

« on: June 20, 2004, 08:42:23 PM »
Hi,

Just a small note to inform that a nex version of the fetchmail contrib is now available here :

http://www.schirrms.net/sme/SMEFetchMail.php

- Better SME 6.x compatibility
- Some small changes (no more multidrop, some tools added).

For people already using smefetchmail-1.0.2, and planning to upgrade without reading documentation :
Everything should go fine, but as an extra sefety rule, you could backup theses two files :
/home/e-smith/configuration
/home/e-smith/accounts

---

Just a question : Until now, when i produced a how-to or a contrib (not so often :-) ) i only created a link in the Contribs section.
This time, I also send a post here. Is it wise ?

TIA,
Pascal

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:10:16 AM »
Pascal,

I believe that it is good to announce it on this forum as well. Also consider sending an email to Devinfo.

The How-To classification  http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/E-Mail        will be updated with this new contrib soon. My understanding is that Vincent's old version is still valid for versions <=5.6 and this should be used for versions 6.0+

I'm glad to see a new fetchmail contrib building on Vincent's earlier work. I like the removal of the dependency on upgppp.

Thanks to both you and Vincent for your work.

schirrms

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:42:54 PM »
Thanks Wellsi,

So i'll remember to inform here also, next time i'll produce somethings (witch is not very frequent ;-) )

And you're rigth, I forgot to post on devinfo, also.

Regards,
Pascal

avraham

fetchmail
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 01:18:54 PM »
Installation was easy THANK YOU. I followed instructions to the "T" but i still cannot retrieve mail from external pop server.Please advise. Email settings set to smtp (not etrn or multidrop) and fetchmail section as suggested but mail not arriving on sme 6. Please advise
Thanks

schirrms

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:44:29 PM »
Hi,

Maybe it was you who send me also a private mail, with nearly the same query.
I just put here the same answer, hoping that this will help :
------------------------------------------------------
A very stupid question, but did you activate fetchmail ? The first button on the first page.

You can maybe find informations in
/var/log/messages (at least a line like
Jun 24 20:30:01 gw1 su(pam_unix)[14447]: session opened for user qmailr by (uid=0)
Jun 24 20:30:08 gw1 su(pam_unix)[14447]: session closed for user qmailr
)
and also in /var/log/maillog (useful if you missed one information -bad login, or bad password, for instance )

If this doesn't help, you could try (loggued as root) to  type :

/etc/fetchmail

(this is the script witch should run every 15 minutes, if you didn't change the schedule).

If this script runs with errors it is faulty. You cannot send me the script (in fact you can, but you should not) because it contains all informations about your externals mail accounts.
But in this case, try to look carefully at your settings (maybe remove them and start again ?)

If it runs without errors, two possibility : it is empty, or it works
Just look in the file ( less /etc/fetchmail ) it should contains one block like this by external mailbox fetched :
#
#   Mail N1 Account for : foo  delivered to : foo, bar, anyhow
/usr/bin/fetchmail -d0 --silent --syslog --fetchmailrc - <<EOF
set postmaster "postmaster"
set bouncemail
set properties ""
poll *********** with proto IMAP user '********' smtpaddress ******** with password '*****' is ****** here fetchall
EOF

if this seems to be OK (more important : if you notice that the mail are nicely fetched, sending this command by hand, you should look in the
/etc/crontab file (less /etc/crontab)
You should have somethings like that :
# fetchmail times during office hours

*/15    8-17    *       *       1-5     root    /etc/startmail

# fetchmail times outside office hours

*/15    0-7     *       *       1-5     root    /etc/startmail
*/15    18-23   *       *       1-5     root    /etc/startmail

# fetchmail times during the weekend

*/15    *       *       *       6-7     root    /etc/startmail

HTH,

Offline NickCritten

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 11:01:36 AM »
Is it possible to use the fetchmail contrib to perform a second multidrop pickup?

I'll explain..

SME 6.0
Two Domains..

domain.co.uk
domain.org

domain.co.uk is picked up from multidrop POP account
domain.org is delivered via SMTP, but if our ADSL is down it is delivered to another multidrop POP account.

Can I setup SME to pickup from two multidrop accounts?

Cheers!
Nick

"No good deed goes unpunished." :-x...

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
fetchmail & mail blocking
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 02:02:52 PM »
FYI - if you use mail blocking you will have to add an entry into the mail blocking system.

Current list of mailrules:
Accept
To:*@mail.domain.com (or better yet, specifically to user@mail.domain.com)

This is because SME mail blocking will receive mail to user@domain.com but not user user@mail.domain.com
You'll have this problem if when checking the logs in /var/log/maillog you'll notice this response:

SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address user@mail.domain.com'
SMTP> RCPT TO:<postmaster@mail.domain.com>
SMTP< 553 Sorry, that is an invalid e-mail address
can't even send to postmaster!

Hope this helps for peps looking for info on fetchmail.

Thnxs,
dak

schirrms

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 10:34:43 PM »
Hi,

We just released a minor version of smeserver-fetchmail.

Here is a copy of the changelog :
------------------
Some very small corrections (version 1.0.1) working together with smeserver-fetchmail-1.3.4-04 rpms. This release contains theses three changes :

* A small bug didn't permit the use of smeserver-fetchmail on SME 6.5 RC 1 .
    * smeserver-fetchmail use internally a name to send all incoming mails to the local mail server. Until now, the internal mail server name was 'mail.{DNS Domain name}' In some cases (especially when using an external DNS server), this wasn't working. Now, the internal mail server name is '{DNS Domain Name}'.
    * Internal distribution list name change : When smeserver-fetchmail has to deliver mails to more than one recipients, it use internal distribution lists. Until now, theses lists where prefixed with the fm% sequence (to be sure they are unique in the system). Some antispam rules don't like the percent sign. Now, the smeserver-fetchmail distribution list prefix is fm_fm-
---------------

The internal name change should permit a correct cooperation with some mail tools (like dungog mailblocking)

the installation RPM is here
the source rpm is here
the explanation page is still here

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 11:17:12 PM »
BTW: Since I got some error logs from users trying to install the SME plus script, I updated the SME plus script to reflect the new package, too.

Good work, Pascal. Thank you for that contrib!

schirrms

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 08:24:52 PM »
Hi,

Thanks Stephan for your sme+ script, and hanks to include smeserver-fetchmail !

Regards,
Pascal

Madmax

Server won't fetch
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 10:12:51 AM »
Hi all,

I have an SME 6.0.01 box that won't fetch pop mails. I have uninstalled and reinstalled smeserver-fetchmail-1.3.4-04 but no improvement. I can fetch the mail using an SME 6.0.01 box at another location with no problems, and I can pop the mails using Outlook on the network machines. etc/fetchmail executes ok, and the file /etc/fetchmail looks normal. Internal mail (e.g. admin messages) are being sent just fine, but the pop mail that I am trying to fetch stays on the remote server, and isn't downloaded to the user mail boxes. The log fragments are as follows:

Mail Log
Jul 24 15:25:00 jupiter fetchmail[2401]: 5.9.0 querying pop.smallgreenplanet.net.au (protocol POP3) at Sun 24 Jul 2005 03:25:00 PM EST
Jul 24 15:25:00 jupiter fetchmail[2401]: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(pop.smallgreenplanet.net.au.pop3)
Jul 24 15:25:00 jupiter fetchmail[2401]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
Jul 24 15:25:00 jupiter fetchmail[2401]: normal termination, status 2
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2404]: 5.9.0 querying pop.smallgreenplanet.net.au (protocol POP3) at Sun 24 Jul 2005 03:25:01 PM EST
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2404]: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(pop.smallgreenplanet.net.au.pop3)
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2404]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2404]: normal termination, status 2
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2406]: 5.9.0 querying pop.smallgreenplanet.net.au (protocol POP3) at Sun 24 Jul 2005 03:25:01 PM EST
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2406]: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(pop.smallgreenplanet.net.au.pop3)
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2406]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
Jul 24 15:25:01 jupiter fetchmail[2406]: normal termination, status 2

Messages log
Jul 24 15:25:00 jupiter su(pam_unix)[2372]: session opened for user qmailr by (uid=0)
Jul 24 15:25:00 jupiter su(pam_unix)[2372]: session closed for user qmailr

Is it time for a complete reinstall?

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 02:07:24 PM »
oh no, not the Query status=2 (SOCKET) problem. i had to deal with this too. it's not fetchmail, it's clamav that's your problem. (try it if you want by disabling the clamav for a test)

i manually uninstalled clamav (all rpm's of it -think there's three) then reinstalled clamav via the script. then issued the following commands:
/sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop amavis-ng qmail-queue /var/qmail/bin/qmail-spamc
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event email-update

schirrms

minor version change
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »
Hi

A new minor version of smeserver-fetchmail has just been released.

Here is the changelog :
  • This version works with SME 7.0 Alpha 26 (a very few tests done, still an annoying message when removing the package).
  • A new config database value has been created, allowing to set a particular destination host for the fetched mails.
  • Bug correction : the SMTP Smart Host, if set in the configuration, is again the default destination server for retrieved mails. Let me know if this is useful or annoying :-).
  • And last but not least : Italian translation added, thanks to Antonio Fragola - MrShark.
Thanks,

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 11:39:25 AM »
Pascal,

You are one of the best. This appears to be the only feature in SME7 that was missing for me to migrate over.

Code: [Select]
Done.
Installation finished.
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68799: line 9: /etc/e-smith/events/actions/conf-masq: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68799: line 10: /etc/e-smith/events/actions/restart-masq: No such file or directory
error: %postun(smeserver-fetchmail-1.3.4-04.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

Is that the uninstall error you mention?

I haven't tested it yet but will change my entry here to say that it works.

Regards,
William.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

schirrms

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 02:59:52 PM »
Quote from: "william_syd"
Pascal,

You are one of the best. This appears to be the only feature in SME7 that was missing for me to migrate over.

That's too much !!!  :hammer: Thanks !

Code: [Select]
Done.
Installation finished.
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68799: line 9: /etc/e-smith/events/actions/conf-masq: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68799: line 10: /etc/e-smith/events/actions/restart-masq: No such file or directory
error: %postun(smeserver-fetchmail-1.3.4-04.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

Is that the uninstall error you mention?

In fact, I didn't see the message at install time, but it make sense : During installation an uninstallation of the RPM, I use an existing method to regenerate the firewall configuration, and another to activate it.

But, due to the heavy Spring cleanup done on the 7 version, these methods no longer exist.

During runtime, i'm using Perl applets, still presents in the code, so everyting sould work (and so it seems to be !).

But, as I writed : very few tests done now (I wasn't in a hurry, as SME7.0 is still an alpha.)

What was tested fairly enough is the fetchmail fonction.
What wasn't tested at all are all the tips modifying the firewall rules.

I haven't tested it yet but will change my entry here to say that it works.

Regards,
William.

Yes, you can update your wiki, but can you state that this is for now a very early port ?

Thanks,
Pascal