Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 9.1 Server and Gateway installation

Offline lional

• +0/-0
SME Server 9.1 Server and Gateway installation
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »
Morning
I am trying to install Server and Gateway at a client
I have installed a couple before without a problem.
This particular client's ISP for internet connectivity is controlled by their ISP hence I have no access to their router.
The SME Server works fine except it won't connect to the internet.
I have tested the network cables and network cards to be operational.

I was wondering if it is a port issue that the ISP is blocking.
Does the SME Server use a specific port that I can ask the ISP to check

Thank you

Lional

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: SME Server 9.1 Server and Gateway installation
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
hi

IIUC, you have your SME in server and gw mode behind your ISP's router.. is the router in natted or bridged mode?

is the router the default GW for your SME?

can you give us some details (IPs and network mask for example) of your setup? LAN, WAN addresses, router's ones..
the more details you give, the easier for us to help you

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
lional
If your sme server is in server & gateway mode, & your router is NOT in bridged mode (which I guess is the case) then you will probably have issues.

Change the server setting to server only (in Configure this server screens of console), & select the routers gateway IP as the Internet access gateway (again in Configure this server).
You would only be using one network card in the server in server only mode & this would connect directly to the LAN ethernet.

Depending what you are trying to do with the sme server you may have other issues
eg you will need to forward ports from the router/gateway/firewall to sme server if you want to run a mail server, & allow external access to IMAPS & SMTP server, & provide ssh access etc

As Stefano says, you need to provide us with much more information about your setup & what you are trying to do etc.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
This particular client's ISP for internet connectivity is controlled by their ISP hence I have no access to their router.

Rule 1. Never work with a router over which you have no control ;-)
Rule 2. Buy another router you can control.

Pack ISP router in original box and put on shelf so if you have internet issues and they say 'we can't do anything without our router attached' you take it out of the box and plug it back in. They will then say 'we can't see it, there must be a problem', and you can then sit back with a :pint: and wait for the cavalry to arrive :-)

Rule 3. If Rules 1 and 2 cannot be implemented, change to a better ISP

B, Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation