Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 6.0 to SME 7.3 Update/Upgrade

Offline netwrm

• +0/-0
SME 6.0 to SME 7.3 Update/Upgrade
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:25:32 AM »
HI

I am currently running a Firewall on SME 6.0.  I need to somehow upgrade/update the box to SME 7.3.

Can anybody please tell me is this possible?  I have not seen any how to on this.

Most posts suggest you need to do a fresh 7 install then carry over the settings etc.

I would prefer to do an update as I have LOTS of settings on the 6 box.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Regards

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: SME 6.0 to SME 7.3 Update/Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
PLEASE search the forums...AND the wiki. In a 2 minute search I found this on FAQ!
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ#Upgrading_Server

If it´s written the best way it´s to do a new server install... there are SOME GOOD REASONS ;)

BTW it´s a bad pratice crossposting (post on two forums same question!). Please do not do it.

Jáder

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »
Soon I must update an old SME 6.01 (ot of the box install, no contribs) to SME 7.3. I wonder if a CD update will go smoothly. In particluar I am not sure whether the structual changes like new dovecot delimiter or new db pathes are correctly applied by the 7.3 installer. Has anybody done this?
For particular reasons doing a restore on a fresh 7.3 install is not an option in that case.

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
Soon I must update an old SME 6.01 (ot of the box install, no contribs) to SME 7.3. I wonder if a CD update will go smoothly.
Appears today only the latest 7.3 iso is available on mirrors so your choice may be limited.

As for upgrade procedure, I personally (your opinion may vary) have always found it best to do full backup, then an upgrade on existing hardware. Once upgraded to latest release, you can perform a default backup/restore to a fresh install and/or onto fresh hardware if you want to return to a base system.

Darrell

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »
Appears today only the latest 7.3 iso is available on mirrors so your choice may be limited.

I see all the previous released isos in the obsoletes directory.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »
I see all the previous released isos in the obsoletes directory.

And so there they hide. Thanks Shad!

In the past, I have always walked through the upgrade procedure. In this case 6.01 > 7.0 > 7.1 etc. This has always worked. Michael was questioning if you can go from 6.01 > 7.3. I have never done so therefore I can not advise if this will work. Going incrementally most definitely does.

Darrell

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
Darrell, Shad,

availibilty of the isos is not an issue. I have them all on CDs.

I was hoping that somebody could confirm that I can directly update to 7.3 without walking the time consuming update path. I haven't found anything in the forum or the wiki.