Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Login Scripting Printer Connections

wallyrp

« on: August 30, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »
Good Morning,

Let me precede this posting with the statement that I haven't tried kixstart yet but that may be my next step. I have used it in the past but have tried to stick with Windows standard connecting/scripting tools.

Now to the meat of the matter. I am trying to use the M$ utility "con2prt" program that will connect to another NT/2K/XP shared printer whether it's on the server or a workstation. You can remove any networked printers and then add the ones you want as well as set which one you want as the default. This program fails when connecting to an SME box.

I've also tried to use wsh/vbs scripting to try the same thing, still no luck. The wsh/vbs script I'm using works on other M$ domain environments just fine as I have personally tested it.

The whole point of this posting is to try and set this stuff at a central point instead of touching every dadblame computer.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
con2prt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 04:09:51 PM »
I use con2prt without trouble.  Put it in your \\server\netlogon share, make sure everyone can read it.

Then edit netlogon.bat:

\\server\netlogon\CON2PRT /f
\\server\netlogon\CON2PRT /cd \\labprinter\lablaser

This works fine.
Saving the world ... one server at a time.

Michiel

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 10:11:10 AM »
Is it possible to install in the same way the necessary printer drivers (without any manual intervention)?
thanks,
Michiel

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
drivers
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 01:11:54 PM »
Basically, I install all available network printers as admin.  This puts the drivers into the correct folders on the local systems.

There is a thread about installing printer drivers I think..
Saving the world ... one server at a time.

wallyrp

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 09:46:43 PM »
Good Afternoon,

Ok, here's the error I'm getting after installing SME Custom 6.0.1-01 on a server at this school.

C:\DELL>con2prt /c \\theserver\hp4050607a
Failed to connect to Windows NT printer: \\theserver\hp4050607a.
Please check to see that the printer exists.

I've copied the printer driver files to \\theserver\print$\W32X86\ so they could automatically be installed. I have all Windows XP units in this lab. There is one note, I setup a printer and after adding the printer, the screen is just blank. I click on Printers in the navigation panel and it shows that I have added them. I don't know if this applies to this problem or not.

wallyrp

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »
Good Afternoon,

Dangity, dangity, dangity!!!!

Or as Bill Cosby says, Filth, Fowl, Fowl, Filth.

I installed CUPS, it's sweeeet (say it like a redneck now.) I can print test pages all day long through the management panels that it provides. When I attempt to print to it from a workstation, this is what shows up -

hp4050607a-11  smbprn.000007.SYYuDc  admin  1k  cancelled at
Thu 16 Sep 2004 03:53:36 PM CDT    
 hp4050607a-12  smbprn.000008.oABHfF  admin  1k  cancelled at
Thu 16 Sep 2004 03:54:09 PM CDT  

Why is it cancelling any print from a workstation? These are WXP machines that are joined up to the domain. I have no other problems other than a desktop error that pops up in a Notepad view when logging in. I'll provide more information on that error later. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.