Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Slow web mail retrievial

Joe Gardner

Slow web mail retrievial
« on: December 04, 2000, 05:39:37 AM »
Greets all,

D/L'd the web mail rpms and installed today (nice job BTW).  I'm using lower grade hardware (Cyrix 6X86-something or another with 48Mb) and have noticed that the retrieval of the IMP pages are VERY slow (60 seconds just to bring up the login screen).

Will additional memory and/or upgraded CPU make that much of an improvement?  There seems to be a tremendous amount of disk thrashing going on.

Thanks,

J-

Tim Litwiller

RE: Slow web mail retrievial
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2000, 07:11:53 AM »
memory will make a huge difference.  I had a machine that ws fine with 48mb till they wanted webmail. Then we took it to 96mb after that was so slow and with 96 it is very comfortable it is a pentium 133.

Jeb

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2000, 07:53:11 AM »
Yes I have the webmail running on a P133 w/ 32 megs of ram and it is slow. I also have it on two other boxes w/ 64 and 128 megs and it runs fast, so I would just up the memory.

Joe Gardner

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2000, 03:37:25 PM »
Thanks guy's,

It looks like I'm off to Best Buy for memory.

J-

Dan Brown

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2000, 05:25:25 AM »
My system is a Pentium 150 with 64 MB RAM, and the login screen comes up pretty quickly, so I'd expect the extra 16 MB are making the difference.  I wouldn't get it from Best Buy if I could avoid it, though, as it's so much cheaper elsewhere (check out www.pricewatch.com).