Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

smb, netlogon path, squid, httpd failed.

Jakob Wolffhechel

smb, netlogon path, squid, httpd failed.
« on: September 11, 2000, 09:39:07 AM »
first off i want to tell you... this is a damn fine product. i am proud to be using it and i feel... well... damn good about the shell/bash... it's nice now that i know the /[033] things... nothing like a red root. :)

i am an adept windows user but no bash guru. still trying to practice the skills nevertheless.

after installing i copied everything from the /etc/e-smith/templates to the /etc/e-smith/templates-custom... so that should be fine. i now edit the files in the templates-custom dir and do the /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/smbd.conf (if samba is to be configured).

now... i have set up e-smith users using the web interface from a windows client on my lan. i have setup a user (let's call him john) and given him a password (for argument's sake make it doe). i have setup e-smith to be an nt workgroup server. server name odin domain valhalla.

now my win98 client is setup using dhcp. and dns is set to host: win98, domain: valhalla, dns search order 192.168.1.1... gateway is 192.168.1.1... my microsoft network client is set to log onto nt domain (valhalla ofcourse) using name john and pass doe.

i have read some info on samba and win98 but i am not sure i am doing all the right things.

like for instance the info i've read about the smb.conf it seems like it is only one file.. why are there twenty file fragments to make up one smb.conf in the e-smith server filesystem... what is the purpose of this?

i've mostly used this article: http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue50/pollman.html

i have a question regarding the templates: like when i read in the above mentioned faq that my smb.conf should look like this:

[global]
        workgroup = KULAI
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
        password level = 8
        username level = 8
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        wins proxy =no
        wins support = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.124.  127.
        logon script = logon.bat

then how do i tell if e-smith is using the right names and everything? i know the global settings in smb.conf rely on some sort of $var that gets inserted in things like workgroup: ie. { $sambadomainserver }.... where do i go if i want to check out these definitions or variables or whatchamightcallem. which catalogue holds the definitions for smb name, domain etc.

oh yeah...more q's!!! :) is it my e-smith server that is gateway at 192.168.65.1 as it says in the configuration file... because if it is then i need to change gateway address on my win98 comp from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.65.1....... or do i need to change the gateway in configuration on e-smith box from x.x.65.1 to x.x.1.1 ???

btw... where are the netlogons stored ? i've made a netlogon directory in the home catalogue (and now i can browse the netlogon ressource from win98 using john as user) but where to put the netlogon.bat files... do i just rename them to user.bat in the netlogon catalogue or put them in /home/netlogon/profiles/ and call them netlogon.bat (yes i've looked through the files in the smb.conf catalogue and the different /%L %U and other things make no sense... damn :( .. i mean :)
----

sometimes my server hangs when i try to shut it down.... it tries to kill squid and just sits there... til i reset it... is there any way to resolve this?

also for some strange reason my dhcpd keeps failing when the e-smith server boots up. then after three or four reboots... it will ok again instead of fail.

and lastly (i hope you've read it all :)) how do i change the broadcastaddress of ext. dhcp... when my comp boots up and gets to dhcpd it says broadcastaddress missing in dhcp response (or something similar)... assuming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx... but i know which address it is... where do i put this... i looked in the templates but to no avail.

thanks again for your very nice server product...
jake