Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Windows 2000 doesn't like E-Smith? Help!

Tom Docking

« on: August 22, 2000, 08:39:08 PM »
G'day all,

I've noticed something really annoying and queer...

Since I couldn't get diald working on another server, I d/led v4.0 and made a clean install of it.

The good news: Diald works fine - it dials out okay.

The bad news: If Diald is loaded, a Windows 2000 Server machine on the network cannot see it!

The problem with this is that the Win2K Server is on the net to run as an Application Server (Terminal Server) for Windoze apps. Therefore, nobody on the network can access the mail or internet, as the Win2K server won't even ping the address - it comes up as destination host unavailable.

However, from the clients themselves (at Win95 or Win98) they can ping and be pinged happily.

The E-Smith box can ping the Win2K box, but not vice versa. If Diald is left out at bootup, it all works fine... Except for internet access!

Has anybody come across this one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Doc

Charlie Brady

RE: Windows 2000 doesn't like E-Smith? Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2000, 11:28:14 PM »
Tom Docking wrote:

> The bad news: If Diald is loaded, a Windows 2000 Server machine
> on the network cannot see it!
>
> The problem with this is that the Win2K Server is on the net to
> run as an Application Server (Terminal Server) for Windoze
> apps. Therefore, nobody on the network can access the mail or
> internet, as the Win2K server won't even ping the address - it
> comes up as destination host unavailable.
>
> However, from the clients themselves (at Win95 or Win98) they
> can ping and be pinged happily.

It sounds from what you have said up to here that the default gateway setting on the Win2K server is not set to the IP address of the e-smith server and gateway. That would prevent  that machine from accessing the internet.

> The E-Smith box can ping the Win2K box, but not vice versa.

Are you pinging by IP address?  You should be able to ping the e-smith box by its LAN IP address - it doesn't make sense if you can't.

> If Diald is left out at bootup, it all works fine... Except for
> internet access!

I don't understand exactly what you mean by "if diald is left out at bootup". What e-smith setting or physical connection change are you making?

[Please do not repeat your posting across multiple bulletin boards. Just one will do - pick the most appropriate one, please.]

Charlie

Tom Docking

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2000, 09:16:41 AM »
Charlie Brady wrote:

> It sounds from what you have said up to here that the default
> gateway setting on the Win2K server is not set to the IP
> address of the e-smith server and gateway. That would prevent
> that machine from accessing the internet.

Nope, that's not it. The gateway was set to 192.168.1.10 (the IP address of the E-Smith box.) 192.168.1.1 would be my preferred choice, but it was taken by the Win2K box.

> > The E-Smith box can ping the Win2K box, but not vice versa.

> Are you pinging by IP address?  You should be able to ping the
> e-smith box by its LAN IP address - it doesn't make sense if
> you can't.

That's right - it doesn't make sense. :-)

I was pinging by IP address. ie, "ping 192.168.1.1" would work happily from the E-Smith box, but "ping 192.168.1.10" from the Win2K box would return "request timed out" after a split second. (Not enough time to time out for real.)

I thought it might have been IP security, but I couldn't find any trace of it set up.

I have even tried removing all other systems from the network, to no avail. It is *only* the Win2K box that has problems, and *only* if I have diald installed.

> I don't understand exactly what you mean by "if diald is left out at bootup". What
> e-smith setting or physical connection change are you making?

I tried a process of elimination; whilst rebooting, entering a selective startup. I dropped a heap of services and it would ping and connect ok. I then gradually added the other services (upon many, many reboots) until it stopped working.

I now have every service but the diald service running, and everything else works. The moment I try with diald (ie, select Y for all services, or not enter interactive mode), it poos itself.

To keep things running, in case of power failure, I have currently removed diald from rc.sysinit.

> [Please do not repeat your posting across multiple bulletin boards. Just one will do - > pick the most appropriate one, please.]

My apologies. I normally wouldn't do it, but I was/am desperate. 'twill not reoccur.

A most intersting problem, no?

I was wondering, is there possibly an exclusion in the diald configs that would be bouncing anything from 192.168.1.1?

Cheers,

Doc

Charlie Brady

RE: Windows 2000 doesn't like E-Smith? Help!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2000, 10:32:51 PM »
Tom Docking wrote:

> That's right - it doesn't make sense. :-)
>
> I was pinging by IP address. ie, "ping 192.168.1.1"
> would work happily from the E-Smith box, but "ping
> 192.168.1.10" from the Win2K box would return
> "request timed out" after a split second. (Not enough
> time to time out for real.)

Tom, it looks like you have found a bug with the diald configuration.

Here's something for you to do which I think will fix it:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/diald.conf
cp /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/diald.conf/*  !$

Now change 192.168.1. to 192.168.2.  in the lines containing "local" and "remote".

Now do:

/sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/diald.conf

Now restart diald:

killall -TERM diald
/etc/rc.d/init.d/diald start

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Charlie

Tom Docking

Woo Hoo!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2000, 05:06:24 PM »
> Tom, it looks like you have found a bug with the diald configuration.
>  Here's something for you to do which I think will fix it:

Thanks so *very* much Charlie. You're brilliant.

I guess that's what I get for a "non-standard" setup. I wish I could get rid of the Win2K Server box (and the hideous licensing fees attached), but until we can get some form of Terminal Server on linux happening that runs Windoze business apps such as MYOB...

... Hey... E-Smith with X and Wine?  Maybe it's time for me to experiment. :-)

BTW, you've done a fantastic job with v4 again. I've set up a few E-Smith 3 boxes which I added lpr to, etc, to add the printer support. I've also built a few RedHat/TurboLinux/Debian servers (for the challenge.)

I don't think I'll waste my time in future. V4 is sleek, smooth and easy!

Cheers,

Doc