Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mixed server environment

john bennett

Mixed server environment
« on: August 21, 2000, 11:42:46 PM »
I had originally posted this in the new user forum, but no answer, which is why I am posting it here.  

In my house I have a Novell server, e-smith 4.0 server, win2k pro desktop, and an NT 4.0 desktop. I am using the novell client. I am currently authenticating into the netware server. I would also like to have access to my e-smith server as well. I am pretty new to e-smith. I set the e-smith up to be the PDC with a workgroup name of home. On the NT and win2k pc's I currently have them in the home domain. Must I change that and put them in the home workgroup. If so, why? If I add an NT server to the mix, and make it the pdc in a domain called home, and change my workstations accordingly, will I still be able to see everything from the e-smith box? (i-bays, etc.)

Now, I could spend my time in my room eventually figuring it out, but my wife and kids would like to see me. So, all help is greatly appreciated.

More info, I have changed the w/s to be in the home workgroup, but still don't have access to the e-smith server or i-bays.  I am wanting to modify the html files.  I can see the directories and i-bay shares, but when I got to save the file, I can something similiar to access denied.  I know it's a rights issue, but can't get it to work.  Currently, I am logging into the system as admin.  Admin has the same password acroos all systems.  I even created an administrators group on the e-smith server and put the user admin in this group, but nothing works for me.

Thanks to all who help,

JB

TIA,

JB

Charlie Brady

RE: Mixed server environment
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2000, 10:49:04 PM »
john bennett wrote:

> In my house I have a Novell server, e-smith 4.0 server, win2k
> pro desktop, and an NT 4.0 desktop. I am using the novell
> client. I am currently authenticating into the netware server.
> I would also like to have access to my e-smith server as well.
> I am pretty new to e-smith. I set the e-smith up to be the PDC
> with a workgroup name of home. On the NT and win2k pc's I
> currently have them in the home domain. Must I change that and
> put them in the home workgroup. If so, why? If I add an NT
> server to the mix, and make it the pdc in a domain called home,
> and change my workstations accordingly, will I still be able to
> see everything from the e-smith box? (i-bays, etc.)

I guess you got no replies because you have asked quite a few questions, and your questions are beyond the experience of the people hanging around in these forums.

The e-smith server at this stage does not implement the full features of a PDC. There is also no way to authenticate against a Netware server, or against an NT server for that matter. But since you say that the passwords are set up the same across all servers that shouldn't be the problem.

You might gain some insight if you trawlk through the logs in /var/log/samba on your e-smith server. Expect it to be cryptic though.

Best wishes

Charlie

john bennett

RE: Mixed server environment
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2000, 06:50:38 PM »
Thanks Charlie,

I can get around it now.  I know I can't authenticate via a netware server using e-smith.  The issue is with the 12 character limitation of userids on E-smith.  So, I have created another user that has the necessary rights and all is good.