Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mail problems

ColinH

Mail problems
« on: August 21, 2000, 03:56:21 PM »
I've set-up an e-smith server for a small company, and would like to know a bit more about the mail side of things.

They are using a dial-up connection and use POP3 to download the mail from the ISP. This is currently done using a Win98 machine with Outlook98. Each user goes to this machine to send/receive mail using 1 mailbox.

I want to set-up each user with individual mailboxes which they can access from their Win98 machines.

I set-up e-smith to connect to their ISP and download the mail, it looks like it's downloaded, but using the OutLook client I can't find any mail. I've set an account up called Admin in OutLook and logged in, but still no mails. I can send out mails OK though.

Any ideas, or more info required...

Many thanks,

Colin

ColinH

RE: Mail problems
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2000, 08:35:57 PM »
Even worse, I've just found out that whenever someone goes on-line, the e-smith server rejects all mails! So the company I've set the server up for has lost around 400 mails so far..oops.

Colin

Tim Litwiller

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2000, 08:54:43 AM »
does each user have an email account with the isp?  if so than put the e-smith back to defaults and setup the client to get the email from the isp - same as you would a dialup.

if you don't have seperate isp email accounts for each user than the isp needs to dump all mails for your domain to a single account and then you setup the e-smith to get those emails.

PS. are you sure that the mails have been lost?  if the e-smith is rejecting them they are probably still in the pop account at the isp.

ColinH

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2000, 03:30:55 PM »
They have the mail forwarded from a hosting company to a POP3 mail account, which they currently download from demon using one their ISP logon and password.

I spoke to Demon (their ISP) who said that it was due to e-smith announcing itself as the mail server, then as it wasn't configured, it would reject all mails. They initially thought it was a Windows 2000 server running as they have encountered the same problems with Win2k.

I did set-up seperate accounts orginally on e-smith, but could not get it to distribute mail. I also set-up Outlook 2000 to connect as admin and see if it had passed any mail it couldn't resolve to the admin account, but there was nothing there.

The error we keep getting is:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
The following address(es) failed:

netlinedesign.demon.co.uk [194.222.201.89]:

RSET
250 flushed
MAIL FROM:
250 ok
RCPT TO:
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Any suggestions would be hugely, greatly appreciated.

Charlie Brady

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2000, 07:17:21 PM »
ColinH wrote:

> The error we keep getting is:
>
> A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its
> recipients. The following address(es) failed:
>
> netlinedesign.demon.co.uk [194.222.201.89]:
>
> RSET 250 flushed MAIL FROM: 250 ok
> RCPT TO: 553 sorry, that domain
 > isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

The "list of allowed rcpthosts" is kept in /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts, and comprises the domain name  you have configured plus any virtual domains you have set up. It looks to me as though you haven't configured netlinedesign.demon.co.uk as your system domain name.

Regards

Charlie

ColinH

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2000, 09:56:22 PM »
No I didn't I set it as netline.co.uk, which is their domain name. They wouldn't host the e-smith server as a public web server, could I keep that and add the netlinedesign.demon.co.uk (which is their ISP login) as a virtual domain? Or is that asking for trouble? :)

Colin