Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Can someone help with Dynamic DNS?

ColinH

Can someone help with Dynamic DNS?
« on: August 21, 2000, 03:50:44 PM »
Hiya,

I've finally set-up an e-smith server for a small company with 5 end users. They connect to their ISP with a 3COM ISDN Pro TA External ISDN Modem. The problem is that clients can connect to the Internet fine, then after the modem hangs up it seems that it then can't redial. Even going to the console and performing the Test Internet Connection fails until the machine reboots.

I've searched the forum and found that someone had a similar problem and the answer was to do with the ISP assigning the e-smith server a Dynamic IP which was then changed whilst the server was connected.

The manual mentions Dynamic DNS briefly, but this is for Dedicated access, and being in the UK it would cost a fortune for this small company, so they're using a dial-up connection.

Many thanks in advance,

Colin

Orville Carter

RE: Can someone help with Dynamic DNS?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2000, 11:08:07 PM »
Colin,
     Unfortunately, most e-smith power-users have cable or DSL access to the internet. I have not used
dial-up with e-smith only with original RedHat. Dial-up internet access naturally uses dynamic ip addressing at the isp. E-smith server must be set to dynamic ip in order to "collect" the ip address on initial connection.

Your situation appears to be modem/serial related. Somehow the serial port is not resetting the modem.
Can you tell the status of the ISDN "modem" from its indicator lights?

After the first hang-up what is the status of the lights - before reboot & right after reboot?????

If the isdn box is reset (without reboot) does it help???

OC

jms

RE: Can someone help with Dynamic DNS?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2000, 11:34:57 PM »
I have a Dail-up cable modem connection. I use www.yi.org as dynamic dns provider.
I have edit the file /sbin/e-smith/dynamic-dns/yi into this:
#!/bin/sh

#------------------------------------------------------------
# Send DNS IP address update to yi.org. Ignore DOMAIN
# parameter since yi.org only manages subdomains of yi.org.
#------------------------------------------------------------

IPADDR=netstat -rn | egrep ^0.0.0.0 | sed -e "s,.* ,,g" |
xargs /sbin/ifconfig | grep "inet.addr" | sed -e "s,.*addr:,,"
-e "s, .*,,"
USERID=(yi.org username)
PASSWD==(yi.org password)

DATETIME=date
lynx -source -auth=$USERID:$PASSWD  
http://www.yi.org/bin/dyndns.fcgi?ipaddr=$IPADDR |
sed -e "s,^,$DATETIME: ," -e "s,<.*?>,,g"

Add the line /sbin/e-smith/dynamic-dns/yi ip-up
in /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
Also add theline in the template located at /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/ppp/ip-up.local/signal-event