Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fullname aliases bug?

Pierluigi Miranda

Fullname aliases bug?
« on: August 17, 2000, 09:47:26 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to talk about contributed RPMS, but I'll try anyway, hoping that if I have made a mistake someone will correct me and all other people will forgive me... :)

I have just installed both e-smith-fullname-alias-0.3-2.noarch.rpm and e-smith-aliases-0.3-1.noarch.rpm, by Charlie Brady.

I think I've found a bug in the fullname-alias package: if I create a user, its alias goes in the /var/qmail/alias dir, as expected.

When I delete a user, though, I get an "System error" message, stating that an "Error occurred while deleting user."

The message seems generated by the CGI /etc/e-smith/web/functions/useraccounts performDeleteUser function, during the
"/sbin/e-smith/signal-event user-delete" phase.

Looking in the /var/qmail/alias dir, I noticed that the alias file for the just deleted user is not removed.

On further investigation, I found in the /etc/e-smith/events/user-delete dir the S90create-fullname-alias link to ../actions/modify-fullname-alias.

At first, I thought that the fullname of the user could be no more available after its deletion, so I tried renaming it to something like S00something, but to no avail.

I removed it, and the username deletion worked as expected; so I am reasonably sure that the culprit is the modify-fullname-alias script.

I don't know any perl at all: maybe there's something wrong in the statement
"unlink $qmailfile;"?

P.S.: Charlie, in this script you wonder how to manage the alias while updating the user name: I think that the old alias should be removed and substituted by the new one. :)

Thanks you all for your attention, and expecially to Charlie Brady :)

--

Pierluigi "Zio Lonewolf" Miranda
Cerveteri (Roma) - Italy
p.miranda@mclink.it

Charlie Brady

RE: Fullname aliases bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2000, 10:52:36 PM »
Pierluigi Miranda wrote:

> I think I've found a bug in the fullname-alias package: if I
> create a user, its alias goes in the /var/qmail/alias dir, as
> expected.

Yes, there is a bug there, and I know how to fix it, but I've just been a bit too busy doing this such as moving countries, starting a new job, etc etc to get around to fixing it.

The error that you see is quite harmless - it will just slightly change the bounce message that people see if they send mail to the user that you just deleted.

> P.S.: Charlie, in this script you wonder how to manage the alias while
> updating the user name: I think that the old alias should be removed
> and substituted by the new one. :)

The problem is determining the name of the old alias to be removed, when the accounts database has already been updated with the new "firstname" and "lastname" values - you need the old "firstname" and "lastname" values to determine the name of the old alias. But I've already worked out how to fix that too - I'll keep you in suspense until the fix is ready :-)

Regards

Charlie

Pierluigi Miranda

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2000, 12:23:23 PM »
Charlie Brady wrote:

[...]
> But I've already worked out how to fix that too - I'll keep
> you in suspense until the fix is ready :-)

OK, I'll keep my breath while waiting... :D

Thank you very much, and my best wishes for the recent changes in your life.

--

Pierluigi "Zio LoneWolf" Miranda
Cerveteri (Roma) - Italy
p.miranda@mclink.it

Pierluigi Miranda

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2000, 12:27:26 PM »
Charlie Brady wrote:

[...]
> But I've already worked out how to fix that too - I'll keep you
> in suspense until the fix is ready :-)

OK, I'll keep my breath while waiting... :)

Thanks again, and my best regards about the recent changes in your life :)

--

Cerveteri (Roma) - Italy
p.miranda@mclink.it

Pierluigi Miranda

Sorry...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2000, 12:32:00 PM »
Please forgive me for my repeated messages... I got a screenful of errors while posting, so I thought the postings were unsuccesfull and I wrote them again :(

--

Cerveteri (Roma) - Italy
p.miranda@mclink.it