Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

partitioning

Mark Pimentel

partitioning
« on: August 15, 2000, 01:11:09 AM »
Is there some way that the install scripts could be modified to install e-smith on a different partitioning scheme?

I have multiple drives in my computer, and would like to make boot drive the smaller drive (2GB) and the /home (space hog) on a 9GB drive

Charlie Brady

RE: partitioning
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2000, 08:27:44 PM »
Mark Pimentel wrote:

> Is there some way that the install scripts could be modified to
> install e-smith on a different partitioning scheme?
>
> I have multiple drives in my computer, and would like to make
> boot drive the smaller drive (2GB) and the /home (space hog) on
> a 9GB drive

It's possible to change the auto-partitioning scheme only if you boot from floppy disk.  Create the floppy disk as per the installation instructions, and edit the file ks.cfg on the boot floppy. But I don't know exactly how to specify the second disk, you'll need to find Kickstart documentation and check the details.

The other way to do it, and how I'd do it, is to do a normal install on the 2GB disk, then log in as root, partition the second drive, make a filesystem on the new partition, then mount that partition as /home, and copy the contents of the original /home partition onto the new partition, then reboot. Something like (assuming your second drive is the master on the second controller):

/sbin/fdisk /dev/hdc
/sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdc1
mv /home /home.orig
mkdir /home
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /home
cp -arv /home.orig/. /home
echo "/dev/hdc1 /home ext2 defaults 1 2" >> /etc/fstab
/sbin/telinit 6

Charlie

Mark Pimentel

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2000, 06:36:13 PM »
great advice, but I would just like to point out that when a bootup disk is created, either during the install or with the rawrite before the install, there is no ks.cfg file to edit.....any thoughts?

Charlie Brady

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2000, 08:43:15 PM »
Mark Pimentel wrote:

> great advice, but I would just like to point out that when a
> bootup disk is created, either during the install or with the
> rawrite before the install, there is no ks.cfg file to
> edit.....any thoughts?

Ah yes, I'd forgotten a design change which allowed the booting from CDROM.

Create the boot floppy as before, then edit syslinux.cfg on the floppy, changing "ks=cdrom:..." to "ks=floppy". Then copy ks.cfg from the images/kickstart directory of the CDROM onto the floppy, then change the ks.cfg file as previously instructed.

Or set up the /home partition on the second drive post-installation - as previously instructed.

Best wishes

Charlie