Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Web site conversion

Gerald

Web site conversion
« on: August 11, 2000, 09:27:01 AM »
Today I set up e-smith on an AT&T AT Home cable modem. The install was smooth and gracefull. It was good. Now, with a static IP I wish to transfer our web site from a commercial web site hosting organization ($50.00 a month) to our e-smith host. Ther is one problem. We use MS Front Page. Now I don't care to listen to boos, etc. It has worked well for us and we don't with to change. The task at hand is loading Front Page extensions and having them work with e-smith. I am hoping that someone out there has already done it and turned it into a RPM that is simple for a Windows/NT/W2K person to understand. Any takers?  :-))

Orville Carter

RE: Web site conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2000, 07:36:07 PM »
AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!

Let me put it this way. We tried to add MS FrontPage extensions for Linux to e-smith.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/languages/fp/2000/unixfpse.asp

The e-smith system went bonkers. We are now working with JAVA. I am not pointing any fingers at MS. I am just reporting the results of our experiment. You may see diferent results. We did not investigate any further with the e-smith installation.

However, MS FrontPage Extensions appear to work on a "standard" RedHat 6.x installation. Hey! FrontPage is OK! Just be a little carefull installing the Extensions on an E-smith machine. Do not experiment with your main server - we always use a "back-up" server for trials.

OC