Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

3COM ISDN TA Adapter

ColinH

3COM ISDN TA Adapter
« on: August 09, 2000, 08:22:37 PM »
Hi,

I've got a 3COM ISDN Pro TA (external) modem, do I have to do anything special to get this to work, or will it be OK just to stick on the serial port and use it as a std modem?

Ta,

Colin

Zachary W.

RE: 3COM ISDN TA Adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2000, 08:46:56 PM »
Yes it should
you might have to mess with the  AT string but other then that
it should run just fine as a reg modem.

Orville Carter

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2000, 07:57:46 PM »
Colin,
The 3-com ISDN box should work fine on a com port. However, we had much trouble getting both channels up on the 3Com Inpact IQ ISDN box. One channel worked great.
The second channel drove us up the wall.

Both ISDN channel worked on windows trials.

If that happens let us know.

Zachary W. wrote:

> Yes it should you might have to mess with the  AT string but
> other then that it should run just fine as a reg modem.

You got that right, Zac!

Buster

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2000, 08:06:47 PM »
I have a Netgear TA attached to an E-smith box. I changed the AT string but I only could get one channel to work on it, but both channels would work on a Windows machine.

I found that if I attached it to my Windows machine and dialed out it would use both channels, then if I disconnected and unplugged it (not the power) and moved it to the E-smith box it would then use both channels until the power to the TA was cycled.

Orville Carter

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2000, 07:48:30 PM »
AH HA! The same thing works for the 3-Com Impact IQ. Yeah, it was weird.

We tried many modem strings - but it was never consistant in opening both channels.
Also, when we had two channels working under Linux the Impact IQ never recovered
the #2 channel after an incoming or outgoing phone call.

The ISDN was used for one phone line. All the options were programmed at the telco side, and worked great with Win98 or NT4.0. Chan #2 would drop and recover cleanly on incoming or out going phone calls - during downloads.
We believe that a special string command is included in the 3-Com drivers. 3-Com response to our questions was cold - "we DO NOT provide IQ software support for Linux". What a piece of work! Gimme A Break! If anyone wants to experiment with ISDN I have two Impact IQ's for free. ISDN has been upstaged by DSL services.

Buster wrote:

> I have a Netgear TA attached to an E-smith box. I changed the
> AT string but I only could get one channel to work on it, but
> both channels would work on a Windows machine.
>
> I found that if I attached it to my Windows machine and dialed
> out it would use both channels, then if I disconnected and
> unplugged it (not the power) and moved it to the E-smith box it
> would then use both channels until the power to the TA was
> cycled.
>

ColinH

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2000, 05:26:54 PM »
Well, I'm here and it's working! Well almost...it seems that when e-smith times out, it can't reconnect, the only way is to reboot. But I'm still testing at this stage. It seemed to happen when it was connected, and we used the e-smith Web Admin tool.

I'm going to let it time out and then see if it reconnects, also does anyone know what the time out periods are, or should I RTFM!

Many thanks for all your help!

Regards

Colin