Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Changing default FTP port

Jean Zouki Junior

Changing default FTP port
« on: August 01, 2000, 05:00:23 PM »
First of all I'd like to congratulate you for the excelent work on e-smith!!!! I've been testing it for the last couple of days and I'm really impressed!

I'm trying to change the default FTP port (21) to a new port (8021)  because I'm behind a firewall that does not allow any connections from the outside world in ports lower than 1024.

In order to do that I've done the following:

i) Changed services template to indicate "ftp    8021/tcp"
ii) Changed proftp template to indicate "port 8021"
iii) Set FTP access to public
iv) Rebooted and made sure the /etc/ files were modified

After doing so, I was able to establish a connection to my server from a random computer in the Internet and even I logged in without problems.

However, if I try to issue any command, as simple as "ls" the server responds:

"500 Illegal PORT command.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused"

Is there anything else I should modify? If not, have I done something wrong?

Thank you for your help!!!

Jean Zouki Junior

Scott Duncan

RE: Changing default FTP port
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2000, 08:11:20 PM »
The RFC File transfer protocol requires a DATA channel too. Note that on your services template you have an entry for port 20 as well...this is the ftp data channel. Unless you canget your firewall admin to forward ports, you may be out of luck....your other alternative is to use PASSIVE mode clients....those are the only ones that can do what you need.

Jean Zouki Junior

RE: Changing default FTP port
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2000, 10:46:13 PM »
Just as I suspected...

I had already tried to change the services template to ftpdata   8020/tcp' , but it didn't seem to work either.

Even if I change the DATA port from 20 to 8020, there is still no way I could change some configuration parameter to make it work with any FTP client?