Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Automating the backup procedure

Steve Hiner

Automating the backup procedure
« on: July 28, 2000, 11:53:22 AM »
Per Charlies suggestion I am moving this discussion to this forum.

Steve Hiner wrote:

> > I was wondering if it is possible to start the web interface
> > backup proceedure using a cron job.

> No, that's not possible, since the admin password is needed to access that web
page.

I didn't really mean using the actual web page.  I was just thinking that the web page probably called a script on the server.  If so I could start the script manually in a cron job.  If there isn't a script then where would I find documentation of what is backed up?  I assume it is really just a .tgz file so I could make my own backup manually by using tar.  I just want to make sure I am backing up everything that needs to be backed up.  Would I just need to back up /etc/e-smith, /home and perhaps /var/qmail?

I am considering having my users leave their email on the server so I can back it up since the server uses much better hardware than the clients.  I figure the clients are much more likely to fail and I don't want the users to lose all their email, nor do I really want to back up every client separately.

> > Ideally I would like to
> > have the system create the backup file every night and copy it
> > to a samba share on my NT Server.

> It would be possible to do that, depending on access restrictions on the NT server. > But this discussion belongs in the Advanced Forum, since
> that would be a custom change.

> Charlie

Backup

RE: Automating the backup procedure
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2000, 12:44:32 AM »
I don't know if anyone has ever answered you question. But here is the location of the backup script that is on the e-smith-manager interface.

/etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/cgi-bin/backup