Ed Form

Beta status
« on: November 26, 2003, 11:04:05 PM »
Mike said...

> Have been mailing bugs to Mitel at the beginning but I have no bugs to
> report anymore. As a matter of fact, I think it runs much better as 5.6
> already for quite a while. Just run Beta 3 with all updates or else just
> wait patiently.

There does seem to be one problem that bugs hasn't bothered to address, and which is truly a pain. I'd like to know whether it is a bug or something daft that I've done.

Can some of you with your domain and email hosted by an ISP and the server domain named the same as the external domain, try altering the www hostname on your server to read 'remote', 'not global', and give the server address for the ISP's site that carries the pages. Then tell me if you can access them. You could in 5.6 and in fully updated 6b.03 which had been upgraded from 5.6 with the hostname pointed outside in this way, but I can't in a brand new install of 6b.03 with all the updates.

I reported this to smebugs a short while back and was given a 'nothing to do' reply because I was running Dungog Multipop, so I reinstalled completely, following all the instructions to the letter, and the problem still persists.

For those like me who are still tied to dialup this is a bit of a pain because it means we can't update our websites on the server shared/firewalled connection. I published a Howto for getting  round this on 5.1.2  a while ago, but it's a real pain and I don't want to go back to it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ed Form

Michiel

Re: Beta status
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 01:43:02 AM »
> Can some of you with your domain and email hosted by an ISP
> and the server domain named the same as the external domain,
> try altering the www hostname on your server to read
> 'remote', 'not global', and give the server address for the
> ISP's site that carries the pages. Then tell me if you can
> access them.

AFAIK that is only possible if your ISP gives you your own fixed IP address for your website. Most ISPs do virtual hosting, which means that all the websites on that server have the same IP and need the domain name to decide which pages to serve. In fact, that is also what your SME box does.

Ed Form

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 02:17:39 AM »
Michiel wrote:
>
> AFAIK that is only possible if your ISP gives you your own
> fixed IP address for your website. Most ISPs do virtual
> hosting, which means that all the websites on that server
> have the same IP and need the domain name to decide which
> pages to serve. In fact, that is also what your SME box does.

That's surely what the remote call does. I've tagged the hostname www.workgroupsolutions.co.uk to the address 213.171.216.1, which is a Fasthosts virtual server. On my pure 5.6 server calling for www.workg... got me the ISP hosted pages. The same thing continued to happen when I upgraded that server through all the stages of version 6. But since I b*ggared it up with an ill judged change that I couldn't properly reverse out of, and did a clean install with 6b.03 and all the November 12 upgrades, the remote pointers to the external webpage simply don't work.

Ed Form

Michiel

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 02:53:36 AM »
http://www.workgroupsolutions.co.uk/ gets me to your website, but http://213.171.216.1/ doesn't get me anywhere. Are you sure your ISP hasn't changed anything?

Michiel

Ed Form

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 04:38:53 AM »
Michiel wrote:
>
> http://www.workgroupsolutions.co.uk/ gets me to your website,
> but http://213.171.216.1/ doesn't get me anywhere. Are you
> sure your ISP hasn't changed anything?

Red face glowing brightly I am forced to confess that your advice got me looking at my stored correspondence with the ISP. Some months back they changed a load of IP addresses and my virtual server was one of them. I'd put it right in the old system but forgot about the change and used my old printouts to get the details when I reloaded the server.

Thanks for the tip

Ed Form