Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

virtual domains

Bob

virtual domains
« on: November 12, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
Maybe I am missing something or is this as easy as it looks?

I want to host a few low trafic domains on a SME 6.0B3 box. I set up the iBays,and virtual domains via the control panel, drop in the html, tell my registar to point the traffic to my IP and SME does the rest?

The only concerns I have seen are about e-mail, and it appears the forms have the fixes for that

Thanks

Bob

Dan Brown

Re: virtual domains
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 06:18:17 PM »
Yep, it's as easy as it looks.  For e-mail, all users exist on all domains.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 06:27:47 PM »
If you make sure each domain does not duplicate user names your one machine can easily handle email for multiple domains. Just remember that each user name will exist for all domains hosted by that machine.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 09:26:01 PM »
Still kind of on the same subject line, Is the SME server performing the name server function, and should I name the box ns.mydomain.com, or should I put togeather another server and put it ahead of the main server and run something like tinydns on it? I am real new at this, and trying to learn, so all information is very appreciated. If this is the wrong plase to be digging into this, please give me a push in the right direction, and I will go there

Thanks

Bob

Dan Brown

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 10:58:36 PM »
No, the SME server does not serve DNS to the outside world.  Use a free service like zoneedit.com for that; it's much easier than trying to handle it yourself.

bob

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 05:08:33 AM »
Thanks, All the input is greatly appreciated. I keep trying, and I am learning. I will always try to dig out the answer first, but some of my questions may be a little too basic for these forums.

Bob