Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SpeedTouch Installation

feyes

SpeedTouch Installation
« on: July 11, 2004, 01:52:18 PM »
I'm trying to do a installation of the Thompson SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem and is not having any luck. I followed the procedure as described in  Vincent Bazimon installation document. I'm using SME6 so I modified the installtion to suit.

I assume that if you compile the speedtouch tar that it will create a speedtouch.o module that can be loaded but I can't find this module.

dmesg gives me a message to the effect that the device is not claimed by any active driver. However if I run the modem_run program the lights flash on the modem. The ppp0 does also not show up as a device if I do a ifconfig.

Sorry if the message is a bit incoherent but I've been battling with this for 3 days now and it is getting a bit late. Any help will be appreciated.

feyes

SpeedTouch Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »
Ok I solved all my problems. Just a few notes:
1) Make sure your user id and password is correct. It sound simple but if you cant login the ppp0 will not become available.
2) My modem version is 2 and I installed the speedtouch using the  sme-speedtouch-0.0.1-05.noarch.rpm. I don't know which version it used but it didn't work for me.
3) Compiled modem_run, ppoa2, ppoa3 from the speedtouch-1.3.tar.gz but the modem_run and pppoa3 didn't copied to the /usr/local/bin directory because the files was in use. I had to stop the usb-uhci copy the files and restart the module again.
4) I don't know if it is suppose to work but if my modem is not connected when I start the server and I then plug the modem in, the system doesn't bring the modem up if I do the "pppd call adsl updetach" it just gives me a series of error messages.
5) if the software is installed correctly the modem start during the bootup process you don't have to enter any commands.

I think I made a few stupid mistakes during the installation but maybe this helps someone else in the future.