Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Webmin on e-smith?

Scott Smith

Re: Webmin on e-smith?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2003, 02:06:00 AM »
The dilema is not so enigmatic then. If a fork is not an option, and a 3rd party add on is not an option, and as Mitel are obviously headed in another direction, there remains only one domino standing...

Boris

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2003, 03:01:44 AM »
>> However if someone engaged brain and spent two afternoons doing this stuff they'd have a killer server and we wouldn't have just wasted two days having discussions about it.>>

Are we going to test your contributions next week?
Did I get your bragging right?

Dick Morrell

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2003, 03:25:30 AM »
Are you dense. It would take the ESmith crew with THEIR private CVS tree (which we can't submit to) that time to do it, compile and test and release.

No I'm not going to release squat for Mitel - unless they want to hire me and I don't think they could afford me.

What I can do is fund an entirely new suite, including network faxing, anti virus, anti spam and support for road warriors and proper IPSec VPN with a proper non libnewt installer. An entire new product.

Give me 3-4 months then call me chicken @!#$. I've never not delivered when I said I would. I'll find the funding and the dev staff.

Boris

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2003, 03:57:14 AM »
I will watch for "SmoothServer" in the news.

slord

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2003, 04:14:32 AM »
Yeah!
1) Im just back from the pub, I can just type ...
BUT
Even in my intellectually challenged state ....even if I regret this tomorrow after alientating a good resource!!!

GET REAL!
Nothing about webmin in mutually exclusinve.  
Sure, the custom configs are a 'bit weird but' ....
Look at what webmin already copes with!  

I tend to share the view and I apologise before .....but
heck!  its not rocket science.  In the time it takes to work out the config, write the worlds best how-to's (I have to take off my hat SME how-to's are a class above anything else) I could just write a SME specific RPM for webmin.  

Who said 80%.... yeah sure but 80% out of the box + 20% danmed hard vs 50% out of the box vs 50% easy ????
i'll contribute more when I'm sober but !!

Dick Morrell

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2003, 11:37:27 AM »
Boris - Smooth isn't something I do anymore. SmoothWall was about ethical software at a cheap price. SmoothWall only exists now as an exit plan for directors and a company desperate to cash in and sell up. Watch this space.

Gordon Rowell

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2003, 04:50:38 PM »
Dick Morrell wrote:
> [...]
> What I can do is fund an entirely new suite, including
> network faxing, anti virus, anti spam and support for road
> warriors and proper IPSec VPN with a proper non libnewt
> installer. An entire new product.
> [...]

All of these features, with the exception of the proposed installer, are in the
commercial release of the server.

http://www.mitel.com/6000MAS/

We implemented because we felt they were as important as you do.

Gordon

Gordon Rowell

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2003, 04:50:43 PM »
Dick Morrell wrote:
> [...]
> What I can do is fund an entirely new suite, including
> network faxing, anti virus, anti spam and support for road
> warriors and proper IPSec VPN with a proper non libnewt
> installer. An entire new product.
> [...]

All of these features, with the exception of the proposed installer, are in the
commercial release of the server.

http://www.mitel.com/6000MAS/

We implemented them because we felt they were as important as you do.

Gordon

Dick Morrell

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2003, 05:07:32 PM »
Cool, so does that mean reading between the lines that esmith will continue to be a handicapped product with little updates, no real growth and that Mitel wouldn't like a chunk of easily attainable revenue ? I only ask because I have 135 paying commercial resellers who all sell product and all of them would have looked at an ESmith product but who think the average Mitel reseller is a joke. The message is so lost :(

Remote teleworker solutions and PABX solutions are a totally different market to the network server market and there is a market that needs addressing.

But if all these features are in MAS for a seriously silly price (and it is silly - do some market comparisons) then releasing a GPL product with CHARGEABLE maintained modules would be nice and would more than pay for itself. It actually would outperform MAS sales. That isn't a bad thing and just proves a busted model. Maybe something for you to suggest to the sales prevention team.

I spoke to three Mitel resellers all affable, nice and polite, all clueless. All of them. Not a clue. Couldnt have told me anything about the product and then wanted to sell me services on top of them that I clearly didnt need.

Now there is demand and when this thread started I had no intention of doing anything. I was a happy ESmith user but as this thread has continued its become clear that almost sweet FA is being backported into ESmith. I'm sure every SME user is grateful to Mitel for supporting hosting and dev costs - thats a given. However if the only thing thats made it into the UI in TWO years is portforwarding which can be added in under 8 minutes then thats laughable.

I have identified a tech company I can get my fund managers to acquire and I've even talked to two perl coders this morning willing to go to work full time on an alternative solution. I know I can beat the MAS into a cocked hat and after reading your response which I am grateful for it seems that says 6.0 is 5.3 + new kernel and almost nothing else - not even a chargeable update module or feature pack.

Revenue missed.... Big time.

I know overnight I got 43 emails from people on this list who wanted to know what I could do. My wife presumed I was retired but maybe there is a gap for me to fill.

Dick

Boris

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »
Can you as well fund your own website and forum to share your vision and future plans? I see it as an extremely rude and inappropriate to bush Mitel and their user community on their own forum. Where is old good Russian saying in my bad translation would sound like “they do not walk in the stranger of monastyr' with their own regulations”.
You attitude and reputation is well known and you don’t have to prove it here.
Please stop this pissing contents and mind your own bussiness elsewhere.

Brian

Sayings (was Re: Webmin on e-smith?)
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2003, 02:02:13 AM »
Boris wrote:

> Where is old good Russian saying in my bad
> translation would sound like ?they do not walk in the
> stranger of monastyr' with their own regulations?.

A suitable saying in English (I guess the original was Greek) is:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

B.

John Houston

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2003, 01:44:42 PM »
Much as I dont want to keep the argument going I dont belive any of this crap from Morrell about his coding.

I recently talked to George Lungley Managing Director of Smoothwall And Lawrence Manning - Technical Director who both advised that Richard ran the Smoothwall project but NEVER contributed one line of code.   Strange to hear that about someone who clearly can critisise everyone else but hasnt shown any contribution himself.

I say if he can contribute then lets see the quality of your contribution - ie put up or shut up Dick

John

Dan

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2003, 07:41:37 AM »
Well, it seems Richard has managed to offend yet another online group.  Nice going.  Accusations of trolling and some four letter expletives seem to fall so easily from the mouth of a human being who is content with strutting into any online forum and degrading an entire business model.

No Richard, you have no friends here.

Noz

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2003, 01:13:42 PM »
Dan wrote:
>
> Well, it seems Richard has managed to offend yet another
> online group.  Nice going.  Accusations of trolling and some
> four letter expletives seem to fall so easily from the mouth
> of a human being who is content with strutting into any
> online forum and degrading an entire business model.

Why the hell did you wait five days to contribute nothing to a thread that is now dead?  Arrggghh!

Dick Morrell

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2003, 02:20:54 PM »
Yawn, Dan get a life.

Actually 41 emails from people agreeing with me including some Mitel customers suggests you're talking utter baloney.

I have rather a lot of friends here but go for it take your best shot. I'd rather spend my time adding functionality and security to a good project. Whats your claim to fame ?

You're rather boring but if you want to take me on - go for it. I'd love to eat you for breakfast. Personally I think its a waste of effort, I'd rather just get on with coding what I've been doing for the last three weeks.

Am releasing an iso of Mitel mods in the next two weeks with some nice bits and pieces. I trust you won't want to download it or use it.