Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Resolving Local Computer Names with DHCP

James Mansell

Resolving Local Computer Names with DHCP
« on: September 28, 2003, 12:25:28 PM »
Hi there,

I've worked with SME for about 6 months so I'm still quite new.

I've got all the computers on the network running DHCP off my SME box. When I VPN in, I have the problem where I have to enter the IP address of the computer I wan't to browse or telnet into, with the exception of the SME Server itself.

Is it possible to configure SME so that it can resolve the computer names to IP addresses.

When I do an nslookup it seems to just give me pc0020.tmesltd.com for 192.168.0.20 for example.  What I'd like is to be able to lookup vince.tmsltd.com, where Vince is the name of the computer.

Thanks in advance.

James Mansell

James Mansell

Re: Resolving Local Computer Names with DHCP
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 01:51:36 PM »
I've now had another look and have seen the way I can set specific MAC addresses to Hostnames in the server manager.

Solves my problem as far as I am concerned.

James Mansell

Doug M.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 04:25:14 AM »
Which panel lets you do this? I've been through every panel and I do not see any options for inputing MAC addresses? Right now I'm using a custom-template to do this.

k_graham

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 11:54:51 AM »
I can't say about later versions but at 5.5 I think it was I found that if one had file sharing on a computer and then used DHCP on that computer the sme-server druves would appear as if attached to that workstation.

This problem was resolved by providing a fixed ip for every computer that was file sharing. In network, protocol, tcpip of that workstation.

Ken