Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Force a fsck?

Dave Liquorice

Force a fsck?
« on: July 12, 2003, 10:09:30 PM »
I rather unceremoniously stopped my SME v5.6u4 server. It restarted but by the time the monitor attached to it had warmed up I was just in time to see a prompt along the lines of "press within in 1 second to perform a file system check" needless to say I wasn't quick enough and no fsck was perfomed AFAICT(*).

Now it all seems to be running fine  but  for peace of mind I'd like to run an fsck. I've tried ctl-x at the spash screen and entering "SME-mitel single", booting from the emergency disc  but they both  end up mounting the partitions I want to check and the message from fsck, "WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE filesytem damage." worries me. The installation boot disc just tries to do a fresh install.

Short of pulling the plug again how can I  get to a stage where I can "safely" run fsck?

(*) The default of not performing a fsck and having a fairly short timeout seems a bit strange to me. Is ext3 robust enough such that fscks are not required even if you pull the power when the disc is thrashing?

Cheers
Dave.