Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Buy a software from a phone disti ?

Drifting

Buy a software from a phone disti ?
« on: July 12, 2003, 02:49:57 AM »
Can someone confirm that it's only possible to buy SME from a Phone Disti in the uk? And that it is also so very expensive? We can supply MS SBS2k cheaper than this?

Don't get me wrong I love the product and it's stability, but it seems that they want to strangle it on cost.

I would not mind but Rocom who were the original disti (Yep a phone disti) said they would visit (Never heard from them) and now I find the same guy who was to see us now works for.........you guessed it, another phone disti. And they now sell SME !!

I do appreciate that Mitel is primarily a Phone Company. I think what really cheesed me off is that SME is now going to be sold by BT (British Telecom) and a select few of .....wait for it.........phone companies?

Phone companys
Think I will go to Kentucky Fried Chicken and buy  Fish & Chips..

Really love the product, just wished we could purchase at a sensible price. We specialize in the SMB and have quite a few potential customers. We have even gone so far as to investigate Clark-Connect as the rpicing is more sensible.

Rant Mode off...

Interested in comment, polite if possible :)

Paul.

Brian Read

Re: Buy a software from a phone disti ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 07:46:54 PM »
there are a few of us in the UK who understand SME more or less.  Do you need to go to Mitel for support?

Email me if you are interested (brianr at bjsystems.co.uk)

cheers

Brian

Drifting

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 05:07:25 PM »
No we do not actually need to go to Mitel, just nice to be able to offer the product as a commercial item. We have already supplied a few, and printed out as well as notified the customer that it was usupported by Mitel.

I was hoping that someone from Mitel would comment on the ludicrous pricing?

To be honest we are a networking company who mainly sell MS solutions, and its so nice to have the developers support. Linux to us is rather a black art (Although I have been tinkering for some time) to date I still have never got port forwarding working, as I got confused as hell as to what contribs worked with what.
It's also a nightmare even finding the contribs on contribs.org, often no explanation of what they do? I know some consider it an advantage, but when your new to SME it can be a minefield.

Regards Paul.

Brian Read

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 07:31:41 PM »
If some parts of SME are a nightmare to you, then why not get involved with one of the UK group who do not find it a nightmare?

I am always willing to help out via email or the lists (free) or telephone (perhaps not always free), and I have had port forwarding working fine, from my router, through an Ipcop firewall, and through an SMEserver!!  I have a batch of SMEservers running at clients in the the UK

As I am also a contribs.org mod, I can find stuff on it pretty quickly!!

The point I am trying to make here is that no-one needs to struggle, the whole point of open source is that there are people out there able (and willing) to help for the greater good.

Cheers

Brian

Drifting

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 07:43:06 PM »
Thank you Brian.

I may very well take you on on some assitance. Did take a look at your website, and will be intouch re some commercial interaction.

Regards Paul.

Tony Burns

SME 5.5
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 02:08:51 PM »
Brian,

I'm hoping this is something you can help me with, we currently use SME 5.5. All is working fine.
Recently we had an employee leave, he has requested that his email be forwarded to him, which we agreed to do, but we would also like it delivered to a local address as well. It seems that you can only enter one forwarding address?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony

philippe peltier

Re: SME 5.5
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 04:50:14 PM »
Look closer.. in the user account, you have in the drop-down list an option to both forward and deliver locally the email at the same time.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil.

Dwayne

Re: SME 5.5
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 07:40:21 PM »
I have the same issue. I want to do multiple forwards but i used ; : . none seemed to work. Is there a way to do this or is the software limited in this area? Some one please advise. Thanks in advance