Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

control for delivery

dsids

control for delivery
« on: June 25, 2003, 04:24:14 AM »
Hi, i'm looking for something to control the delivery with my SME v5.1.2. I want to control the number of delivered to for one email. Users in my company abuse this number. A user can send one email with 30 or 35 "delivered to" and with file attached. This cause low performance. I have ADSL (128/512).
thanks you for your ideas.

DSIDS

Maggard

Re: control for delivery
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 08:32:48 AM »
dsids wrote:
>
> Hi, i'm looking for something to control the delivery with my
> SME v5.1.2. I want to control the number of delivered to for
> one email. Users in my company abuse this number. A user can
> send one email with 30 or 35 "delivered to" and with file
> attached. This cause low performance. I have ADSL (128/512).
> thanks you for your ideas.

Honestly? Sounds like a people problem and not a technical one.

Sure you could do some messing about to bounce back messages with too many recipients or whatever invariably it'll backfire at the worst possible time, or appear to be a technical error and cause more headache, or folks will just figure out how to defeat your "solution".

The better strategy would be to educate the users. Impress on the senior staff the waste of their time and company resources from excessive emails (too many people included, whatever.) A few "Don't you think I have better things to do with my time, and don't you too?" from top people will be *far* more effective then any backend bandages you could apply.

In cases where some individuals are chronic problems then a decision has to be made by company policy makers how to handle this (as they would any other abuse of resources.) If none is willing to take responsibility for the problem then it isn't IT's issue either; and when something breaks someone who should have been responsible will be held accountable.