Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 5.5 and win2k PDC

Charles Thirk

SME 5.5 and win2k PDC
« on: April 24, 2003, 11:18:07 AM »
I still don't think I have this setup correctly, maybe some could guide me into the correct configuration.

I have a SME 5.5 acting in server and gateway mode, it servers mail and internet and is setup as a VPN to another office,it does not do DHCP, it is not a domain controller.  I also have a win2k server acting as a PDC it is servering DHCP and DNS.

I tried to have the SME point to the PDC for DNS, but the moment I do that I can no longer access the SME, it can't see to resolve the address.  I checked the entry in the PDC DNS list and it is there.

One more thing and I don't know if this is the problem but I have named the SME "mail" as the name of the server on the initial setup.  Could this be the problem?  

If there is a more correct way to set this up please advise.

CT

Drifting

Re: SME 5.5 and win2k PDC
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 02:50:51 AM »
If I was you I would let SME do the DNS & DHCP, then just set the default gateway on the Win2k to the SME servers address.
Was there a reason you wanted the Win2K as a domain controller? I would have made it a standalone.

Luckily I know win2k far far better than the Mitel box, but I'm getting there .

Regards Paul.

dave

Re: SME 5.5 and win2k PDC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 03:23:50 AM »
Charles,

I have a similar setup to yours - I have a Win2K Server setup as DC and it serves DNS and DHCP for all members of my network.  My SME box is also setup as the internet gateway, I have several web sites on it and it's email for my network.

The difference is I have the SME box set up as it's own domain controller.  When I look at network neighborhood, I see my Windows domain and the Internet domain (the SME box).  To make the SME box visible to the internal network by name rather than IP address, I created a new zone on the Windows DNS server and set it up for the internet domain and the SME box's name.  For DNS, since SME is the gateway and actually connected to the internet via ADSL, I have the Windows DNS server set up to be a caching name server and the SME server is the primary DNS server.  

This way, all network clients are issued a IP address and DNS IP addresses when they log in to the network (primary DNS is the Win2K box, secondary DNS is the SME box).  The Win2K server handles all local name resolutions and when someone wants to get to the internet, the Win2K DNS server forwards the name request to the SME box and the SME box routes that to the internet.

This may not be the most efficient setup, but it works great.  

Dave