Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Power failures and SME

brad wright

Power failures and SME
« on: March 31, 2003, 07:48:46 PM »
Hi all,
I was just wondering how bad can a power failure be to an SME server. Is such an event likely to cause problems?
reason is: I was speaking to a friend who is running SME and his UPS has just died. He is considering whether or not to purchase a new one. IMHO, i would always use one, if only for peace of mind. but the converstaion got me thinking anyway.. what can an unexpected power-down do to the server.

Sorry, I know it is probably an off-topic question, but I don't really know who else to ask.

Thanks,
Brad

Mntsnow

Re: Power failures and SME
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 09:00:19 PM »
as with any os....Data corruption can occure from an improper shutdown.  I personally would recommend the use of a UPS system on any computer equipment not only for the sake of limiting problems from an improper shutdown but also for the longevity factor as you also get surge protection and such from the ups as well.

Paul

Re: Power failures and SME
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 12:34:05 AM »
Another major source of data corruption is from power "brown outs".  Where I live, the line voltage drops below 97 volts at least 3 times a day.  The other major problem is when the power bumps off for just a second or so.  This has been known to cause more damage than an all out power outage.

I have been using UPSes on ALL of my computers for about 5 years now because of the power problems here.  Since then I have NEVER had a problem with data corruption.  Before the implemtation of UPSes I was constantly "fixing" data and OS problems.  I have 14 UPSes at my site and would NEVER run any computer without one.  They have saved me hours and hours of problems therefore paying for themselves over and over again.

At the very least put a cheap, short run-time UPS on your server and save yourself a majority of your headaches.  JMHO!

Paul