Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Domain join failure!

A.B.

Domain join failure!
« on: March 25, 2003, 04:19:57 PM »
I’m trying to connect a Windows 2000 to a SME Server v5.6. Everything works: DHCP, web server manager, Telnet, SSH, etc. with the exception of the ability to join a domain or workgroup.

SME is setup as the domain controller and there are no other domain controllers on the network. The same user and password is setup on both machines. When I enter the domain name in Network Identification Properties it searches the network for a few seconds then gives me the following error:

=> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Oddly enough for a couple of times it seems to have found the domain since it asked me for the username and password of an admin who had the necessary privileges, I entered the SME admin username and password but eventually it gave me the same error.

I tried instead to setup windows to log into the workgroup specified in the SME Server Manager and I get a welcome to the workgroup message but I cannot find anything in My Network Places.

I’ve had this problem with SME Server v5.2 and v5.6 so I guess this is a windows problem, how can I fix this?

Thanks

A.B.

Andrew Hodgson

Re: Domain join failure!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 07:20:56 PM »
Hi,

Make sure that the wins server is set to the ip address of the sme server.

Also I found it was a good idea to join the computer as a domain user using the administrator account.

Andrew.

A.B.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 06:48:48 PM »
Andrew, I tried both of the suggestions but still couldn't join. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Lee Fakes

A.B.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 06:19:38 PM »
Problem solved:

I turned out to be a problem with my windows installation. Couldn't tell what was the exact problem but I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows 2000 and it hooked up to SME with no problems. Sorry for posting before trying this out.

Thanks

A.B.

Cyrus Bharda

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 11:04:56 AM »
Unfortunatly I do not want to format my windows installation!

I keep getting the windows error:

The following error has occurred validating the name "domaniname".

This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For more information about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the following Microsoft website.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

I have tried everything, setting the WINS server to the IP of my SME, followed Darrell's samba howto several times to the letter.

I really do not want to foramt this computer, is there any other way?

Thanks,

Cyrus Bharda

A.B.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 04:39:23 PM »
Update: A few days after my second windows installation, which was working fine now, I installed Zone Alarm, a personal windows firewall. The problem described in the first message started happening again. Whenever Zone Alarm detects an application accessing the net it asks me if I want to authorize the activity. Apparently I didn’t authorize the activity that was looking for joining the domain, enabling it solved the problem.