Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How can I telnet to the e-smith server?

A.Sleep

How can I telnet to the e-smith server?
« on: June 18, 1999, 06:35:02 AM »
Wondering, how can I telnet (assuming via ssh) to my e-smith box?
It's been running PERFECTLY for a week straight (and headless).

- GREAT product -

Joseph Morrison

Re: How can I telnet to the e-smith server?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 1999, 10:01:49 PM »
re: remote login: If you need to log into the server and gateway remotely, the best solution is to install an SSH server. You can either download the server from http://www.ssh.fi/ and compile it yourself, or install an RPM from http://www.replay.com/redhat/ssh.html or equivalent. You'll be able to ssh directly to the root account. If you ssh to any other user accounts, you'll get a dummy shell which simply keeps the connection open until you type "end". This lets individual users use SSH port forwarding to fetch email securely over the Internet.

Jeraimee Hughes

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 1999, 10:27:11 PM »
Thanks Joseph, I can't wait to start seeing action the the e-smith devel mailing list.
---
RE: ssh/remote, have the ports been blocked by the server or are they just inactive beacuse there's nothing listening? In other words - A.Sleep, if port 22 (I think that's the default SSH port) is blocked in the linux config. then ssh wouldn't work anyway, so maybe some 'emacs on config files' work might be needed... Is that correct?

Joseph Morrison

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 1999, 10:57:30 PM »
Hi Jeraimee, both of your theories are correct. There is nothing listening, and TCP wrappers are also denying access. To make SSH work, you must first install the SSH server so that something is listening. (We can't do this ourselves, because SSH is not free for commercial use, and furthermore there are some export restrictions on encryption technology here in Canada that would make it difficult.) Once the SSH server is installed, you must edit the file /etc/hosts.allow and add a line like "sshd: ALL" to permit access.

A.Sleep

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 1999, 11:52:31 PM »
Thanks... ssh is installed and running great.
  Man that DNS server is quick... thanks a lot.