Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Installation on other drives..

Luke Drumm

Installation on other drives..
« on: September 13, 1999, 05:25:54 AM »
Hi,

I'm curious to find out how to get the e-smith software to install onto any drive other than 'hda'.

"Why?" you may ask.
The machine that I currently use for e-smith has two drives. The first is a rather pathetic 400Mb drive (circa 1930s performance and space) and the second is a marginally more substantial 1Gb drive.
While everything does seem to run rather 'swimmingly' on the first drive (with the second drive acting as 'support'), it does seem rather silly not to reverse the roles of the drives and ease the burden of such an obvious performance bottleneck.

Without burdening myself with any practical knowledge on the subject, I've dreamed the following possible solutions:

Physically swap the drives - Due to the 'valve and fuse' technology of the supporting motherboard, the normally easy task of swapping drives around is now a nightmarish saga that can only lead to a significant loss of hair, blood and respect from my health insurance company.

A 'Real Mans' Partition - Insert a line like "part /silly  --size 1 -grow" into the kickstart file and hope that this encourages the installation to completely fill the 400Mb 'hda' drive with 'silliness' and continue the 'real' installation on the remaining 1Gb 'hdb' drive in a conveniently contiguous and hassle free way.

Specify the drives - Alter the kickstart partition specifications to include the drive destination for each partition. The completely fictional and unconfirmed line of "part hdb/ --size 1 -grow" seems like quite a nice sensible solution (although I suspect reality might pop that little balloon of hope upon RTFM'ing).

Any ideas or thoughts on my hard drive weirdness would be gratefully groveled at.  :)

Regards,
Luke