Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

how can i add Novell Netware support?

miceni

how can i add Novell Netware support?
« on: December 08, 2002, 01:08:05 PM »
HI,

I have big problem. I need to access my Novell server, (4.11- in IPX, not IP) which is behind e-smith server. I am unable to see Novell drive over VPN connection, and would need to see and use it. Since there's no IPX support in E-smith, is there any other solution ?

Regards,

Miceni

Jáder Marasca

Re: how can i add Novell Netware support?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2002, 10:12:25 PM »
AFIK There is just one way: Add IP to your Novell Server! Isn´t that hard!

Randall

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 08:51:29 AM »
That's pretty erogant Jader.  Even with IP enabled 4.11 didn't support true IP well at all.  Mean-while It's the client that's not working thru the SME  if it is configured as a gateway and he probably can't see his NetWare server. Not every individual or organization can afford to upgrade.  I still support 3.11 servers.  Why? Because our tax payers don't want to hear "increased  taxes".

-RJáder Marasca wrote:
>
> AFIK There is just one way: Add IP to your Novell Server!
> Isn´t that hard!

Jáder Marasca

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 01:26:08 PM »
Randall wrote:
>
> That's pretty erogant Jader.  
I´m sorry I I take you to think this... really!

> Even with IP enabled 4.11 didn't support true IP well at all.  
But I think it´s the easier way... and it works. I can add TCPIP to a NW4.x server in a few minutes!

>Mean-while It's the
> client that's not working thru the SME  if it is configured
> as a gateway and he probably can't see his NetWare server.

And I think the client will never see a computer without use the same protocol. So Or you install IPX on SME or IP on NW!   I´m too newbie on SME/Linux to suggest anyone to install IPX on it! By otherside I´m a former novell guru... have installed so many times NW2.15 and NW2.2 - back in that days you had to compile the kernel of SO using almost 40 disks of 360k!
And untill now I still support NW3.x servers... despite fact I don´t install them more!
Now I prefer install SME servers!

> > AFIK There is just one way: Add IP to your Novell Server!  Isn´t that hard!

I´m sorry if you don´t like my suggestion... was the only one I had. And I don´t see you give another one! Could you explain how to solve this problem? I´ll appreciate and learn a lot!

Thanks!

Jáder

Phil Kay

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 01:44:29 AM »
We got Novell mounting using ipx.

You need the following two rpm's:

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ipxutils-2.2.0.18-6.i386.rpm

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ncpfs-2.2.0.18-6.i386.rpm

Install them.
Then 'modprobe ncpfs'
Then 'modprobe ipx'

Then 'ipx_configure --auto_interface=on --auto_primary=on'

You should be able to use 'slist' to see which NetWare servers are available.

Mount them using this command: 'ncpmount -S servername /mnt/Accounts -U user -P password'

Check out this howto for details: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/IPX-HOWTO.html#ss9.4