Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Batch processing?

James Redfern

Batch processing?
« on: October 09, 2002, 03:27:08 PM »
I posted this in wish list too but I don't know how many people see that, so I have posted here as well since I would be interested in getting user reaction to this development suggestion.

Right now, each and every alteration to the configuration is transmitted each and every time a change is made, and the system updates itself in one or many places, rewriting the same files, in some cases, several times over, I imagine.  On a 'slow' system (266Mhz), this wastes time and the impression of efficiency is lost, as e-Smith is configured today.  

Why not (Mitel or someone else) develop a batch procession engine, so that all changes could be made at one time and interactively, so that files are only rewritten once per pass (parse).  This 'Batch Processing' panel could be made so that you cannot leave the Administration Panel without taking a decision either to process or leave until next time.  There may well be other spin-offs this method of processing/updating could provide which I cannot, but you as the developers, may be able to realize.

JR.