Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Unable to restore from workstation backup

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0
Unable to restore from workstation backup
« on: October 27, 2021, 11:49:00 AM »
I've just got my SME 10 box set up and it appears to be working now. I now wish to restore from my SME backup, which is on a USB disk. I have configured workstation backup in Server manager, and in 'Configure Workstation Backup', the disk is seen, so therefore mounted. However, if I go in to 'Restore from Workstation' I get 'Unable to mount workstation shared folder', and a whole screed on how to use the mount command.
From a terminal, checking what is in the media folder reveals the following:
Code: [Select]
[root@botham mnt]# cd /media
[root@botham media]# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 6 Oct 27 09:37 no label
[root@botham media]#
This is an empty directory.
Running mount shows nothing mounted at /media
Running fdisk -l shows:
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk label type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000dce1f
and
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1            2048  1953523711   976760832   83  Linux
I went to the wiki and found info on USB disks, and tried to manually mount it as follows:
[root@botham no label]# mount /dev/sdb1
mount: can't find /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab

Plugging in my SME 9.2 box again, and going to 'Restore from Workstation' and it shows the backups on the disk.

Any suggestions please? Thanks.
Jim

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
Re: Unable to restore from workstation backup
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
You need to specify where to mount the backup drive.
Unless you have preconfigured fstab with somewhere to mount the usb drive it hasn't got a clue.  :-(

Try
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/folder to mount usb drive

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
This is looking like a disk problem. I tried with a brand new disk, and it mounted it fine. I'll do a full backup onto it from the 9.2 machine, and then try again.

Ah, the joys of upgrading hardware and software together...  :-P
Jim

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 07:37:21 PM »
I'm revisiting this as I had the same problem again on a different machine, and think I may have worked out what is happening. The situation was exactly the same - I was migrating to a new SME10 on new hardware and using the server manager backup/restore function. I'd taken the backup, plugged the backup drive in to the new machine, configured workstation backup, and then gone to restore from workstation. I got the same error screen again (I've attached it to this post again). Plugging the backup drive into the old server and going to restore from workstation and the disk was mounted fine.

So what is going on? My clue was that the backup disk had no volume label, and I could mount it fine manually. I changed the volume label to backup2 on a Mint box, and then plugged the backup drive into the SME 10 server. Reconfigured workstation backup, then went to restore from workstation, and it all worked fine. Now, I've not raised a bug yet, as I want to see if I can replicate it again, and also I want to see if it is just a problem when you are migrating from 9 to 10. If the team would rather I raised a bug now, then please let me know, and I will do so asap. Thanks.
Jim

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 10:45:23 PM »
Test away mate best to convirm what and how first, it may be the catalogue file tnat is muddyi g the waters, just a guess
--
qui scribit bis legit