Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Restoring a SME 9 Backup to a Clean SME 10 Install

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: Restoring a SME 9 Backup to a Clean SME 10 Install
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 01:47:26 PM »
You could do the backup using workstation backup. it uses a different method for identifying the drives..

on sme9 Do a Configure workstataion Backup - to a removable drive - then on sme10 restore from workstation -
 removable drive, a little more work but should be fine

Also slower, to backup and then restore
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
i would not suggest affa, i would rather suggest to use another drive.  alternatively this would need a bug if none exist to force to explore thoses drives ignoring the removable flag as it is not to be trusted. 

removable does not mean usb, a sata could be removable.  and hence one drive connected as sata could have the flag because it is hotswap and because the usb driver is not well maintained the disk is recognized as not removable and will not display there. 

Offline Mattj

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
Hello,

Good news, i have managed to get the back up restoring to the SME 10 machine now,

i am using a USB 2.5" caddy with a 2TB SSD attached.

as the file system could see the drive i decided to create a mount point for the drive and modify the fstab to match the drive and be able to view it that way.

i then went into the server console and configured the workstation backup so that i knew for sure that the drive was visible as a backup device.

this would then allow me to restore from workstation and its currently restoring as i type.

Appreciate everyones input and advice here. will post again if i encounter any odd errors

Thank you  :-)

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 10:38:42 AM »
Winners are griiners mate...when you get to that nice blinking prompt in a termional window after a restore and then reconfig/reboot, break out the champers :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
workaround using workstation backup as usb. good job

still need a bug to allow to search on all drives for backup to restore.