Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

installation fails successfully

Offline bham

• +0/-0
installation fails successfully
« on: September 24, 2021, 03:52:38 PM »
New install on a Dell server. Minimal installation from CD. I configure the network access so the installer can pull down packages necessary.

Installation proceeds, asks for reboot. I remove install media, reboot, and get left after reboot with a login prompt.

Problem is that I was not asked for a password, so I cannot complete anything.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: installation fails successfully
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 10:27:57 PM »
Minimal installation? that is not an option to use on Koozali, or are you attempting to do a Netinstall?

Please show what iso you are using and the steps you followed using the graphical installer, in particular the initial install summary, see attached image

Added: if you selected the Minimnal Installation option then no you will not end up with a Koozali install
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:57:54 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:01:01 PM »
aha, OK, did you select the option Minimal Install on the summary screen?

See wiki for install instructions - https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 12:27:48 AM »
Test VM, selected minimal install, completed successfully, rebooted to the sme config terminal screens, Password, domain, ip etc, finish at prompt, working sme10 ready to do full yum update
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline bham

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 12:33:31 AM »
Minimal installation? that is not an option to use on Koozali, or are you attempting to do a Netinstall?

Please show what iso you are using and the steps you followed using the graphical installer, in particular the initial install summary, see attached image

Added: if you selected the Minimnal Installation option then no you will not end up with a Koozali install

I downloaded the NetInstall ISO, and chose the first option - Install Koozali SME Server 10.

I did not choose "minimal install".

I also wrote the full ISO to a thumb drive. It boots, starts installing, then falls over with an unknown error just about at the partitioning section of the install.

With the NetInstall it looks like it's completed a full install, but when it reboots I am just left with the admin: login prompt with no idea what the password could be.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 12:54:52 AM »
With the NetInstall it looks like it's completed a full install, but when it reboots I am just left with the admin: login prompt with no idea what the password could be.

Yep, its installed just the centos base minimal,

Need to use specific apps for the USB setup, again, wiki has details https://wiki.koozali.org/Install_From_USB

I have only tested netinstall iso to confirm it worked, connectivity, speed of connection etc all have an impact on success, it took a few attempts before I was successful, I think others have had similar experiences..

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:57:06 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »
also if disk is reused you need to wipe all trace of raid and lvm or it will fail partitionning. 

Offline pmstewart

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 09:48:38 PM »
Are your hard disks attached to the sata controller built on the motherboard or are you using a raid controller?

Offline bham

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 08:04:22 PM »
to summarise where I am now:

after much faffing around, I got the server completely reset, including the BIOS.

Got the RAID set up.

Tried installing the full install from USB, written using K3B. Failed out completely.

Tried installing net install from CD. Installs something then dumped me at a login prompt with no way to know what the password was.

Tried installing the full install from USB stick using UNetbootin. Failed just after selecting language.

Said several bad words. Wrote full install image to DVD using K3b. Worked perfectly - I now have a server that I can log into and configure properly,

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »
I always feel safer and it has likely saved me time making sure to always follow step 2 in https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5#Installing_the_Software

Step 2: You will be given the option of testing the media before beginning installation. Choose Test this media and install... to test the media and after success run the installer or choose the top option for the default graphical mode install or the second option for the text mode install as you prefer.

Just my 2ยข.

EDIT:
Personally I also trust using dd over everything else for duplicating images to USB media in Linux.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:42:36 AM by Sterling »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline pmstewart

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 12:10:55 AM »
Very happy your a tenacious person!.......

Hope you enjoy your hard work now that everything is happy.

Offline bham

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 01:58:34 AM »
Very happy your a tenacious person!.......

Hope you enjoy your hard work now that everything is happy.

once I get it back to my friend and he is able to use it as he wants, I'll be happy.

... he pays me in beer AND cash  :lol:

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »
... he pays me in beer AND cash  :lol:

In which case don't forget to make a contribution.....

None of the developers who built this for you to earn $$$$ from get paid for building Koozali SME, or helping you.

https://forums.contribs.org/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation