Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

450 Temporary address resolution failure by fallback, nothing in log qmail ofSME

Offline gjverheij

• +0/-0
Dear all,

Unfortunately my sd drive from the sme server has failed. Fortunately, I was able to perform a new installation using my backup. A fallback server is included in the DNS for the mail. However, the fallback server is unable to deliver this mail. Unfortunately I can't find anything in /var/log/qmail/current. The fallback server administrator found 450 Temporary address resolution failure (#4.4.3) with my sme server name. Anyway, installed the Contrib Email Whitelist-Blacklist Control (wbl) and included the fallback server in the withlist. But unfortunately no result or error message. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Best Gert-Jan

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
I think some more info will hel;p..hardware, lan setup, server mode, all helps to try and understand
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline gjverheij

• +0/-0
I think some more info will hel;p..hardware, lan setup, server mode, all helps to try and understand

Thanks Terry,

so more info:
software: sme 10, 64 bit contribs: wbl, Server modus: serveronly
small family server: Intel AtomĀ® Processor D510 (1M Cache, 1.66 GHz), 4gb ram, ssd
lan: ziggo network connection, ziggo modem in brigde mode, own router with nat and portforwarding for port25 to sme

setup works well since sme 4.2, since 2010 with this hardware, only ssd changed last week (-;

Gert-Jan

Offline gjverheij

• +0/-0
hi all,

I am now two steps further:

1. Did another short test after installing the contrib wbl. And have included the fallback server name or ip address in the fields: qpsmtpd whitelisthosts,qpsmtpd whitelisthelo, qpsmtpd whitelistsenders and spamassassin whitelist_from. The messages were now delivered and this was visible in var/log/qmail/current.

2. The fallback server should keep a mail message for 5 days, this turns out to be 12 hours. The deadline for delivery had already passed.

My tentative conclusion: the fallback server settings should be revised. I expected that it should have been received without any whitelisting. This once worked, I should have tested this regularly. The time limit of 12 hours was short. Fortunately, a message of inability to deliver was sent to the senders.

My remaining question: Could I have seen a log other than var/log/qmail/current on my SME server that the delivery failed?

Best Gert-Jan

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
My remaining question: Could I have seen a log other than var/log/qmail/current on my SME server that the delivery failed?

/var/log/qpsmtpd may be worthwhile
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline gjverheij

• +0/-0
hi Terry

bingo, found in /var/log/qpsmtpd learnd a lot today and i have to contact the administrator of the fallback server. thanks a lot,

best, Gert-Jan

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
mate, its always a good day when you learn something that is new, the older you get the joy just goes up a notch :-)

have fun
--
qui scribit bis legit