Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Quick Nextcloud update question

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
Quick Nextcloud update question
« on: August 19, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »
Would the manual update explained in the following link work if using the 20.0.12 tarball to update the version installed by the contrib (20.0.1) or are there template expansions in /usr/share/nextcloud that need to be preserved?

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: Quick Nextcloud update question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 12:34:26 PM »
I suspect it may have an adverse impact..

I just updated my sme10 install of nextcloud to latest version using the inbuilt updater, so far so good
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »
only use online update as administrator of nextcloud.

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 01:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I tried the online update using my personal account that I had added to the admin group and it failed on the backing up step of the update. Would I need to use the SME admin account that was added to nextcloud or the built-in nextcloudadmin account maybe?

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I tried the online update using my personal account that I had added to the admin group and it failed on the backing up step of the update. Would I need to use the SME admin account that was added to nextcloud or the built-in nextcloudadmin account maybe?

I used my SME admin acct, all OK
--
qui scribit bis legit

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 11:30:50 PM »
have you tried once or also retried few times immediately and same result?

you need to investigate the error from logs

nextcloud logs in /home/e-smith/files/nextcloud/
php logs in /var/log/php/

also sometime the detailed log can be displayed when expanding the error screen during the update process

from what to what are you trying to update?

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 02:16:03 AM »
Thanks for pointing me to nextcloud logs. I looked in /var/log/php/nextcloud/error.log and saw that one file could not be read by apache:www. it was a config.php.org that i had left owned by root:root with permissions set to 640. After fixing that it all went without a hitch.

I was updating from 20.0.1 to 20.0.12, seems version 21+ required Centos 8.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:50:42 AM by Sterling »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 04:14:38 AM »
Good outcome, lesson to remember 👍
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 04:49:09 AM »
fwiw I had (on sme9.2) upgraded Nextcloud to v21.01, yep living dangerously  :-P
It worked fine. It has migrated over to sme10 and is still working as expected but I mainly use it for managing a few file xfers between my laptop and mobile phone, calender and tasks.
I had the occasional issue on sme9.2 when an upgrade failed or timed out, the trick to resolve it was to run the update again from the command line. ie OCC upgrade
If that reported that there was no update available and the web interface said there was an update then ignoring it for a day or so and trying again seemed to sort it out.
The latest update is 21.04 but I haven't gone there yet. Recovering to a previous version is a pain in the ass. Don't try it on a production server.
And yes it does throw warnings on the web update page about the database not being supported anymore.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 04:56:38 AM »
All good info for future users...
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 08:42:52 AM »
fwiw I had (on sme9.2) upgraded Nextcloud to v21.01, yep living dangerously  :-P
It worked fine. It has migrated over to sme10 and is still working as expected but I mainly use it for managing a few file xfers between my laptop and mobile phone, calender and tasks.
I had the occasional issue on sme9.2 when an upgrade failed or timed out, the trick to resolve it was to run the update again from the command line. ie OCC upgrade
If that reported that there was no update available and the web interface said there was an update then ignoring it for a day or so and trying again seemed to sort it out.
The latest update is 21.04 but I haven't gone there yet. Recovering to a previous version is a pain in the ass. Don't try it on a production server.
And yes it does throw warnings on the web update page about the database not being supported anymore.

I run SME in a QEMU/KVM VM and I always make a "Checkpoint" snapshot before doing anything that may break my setup, and it has proven very useful a couple of times. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:45:17 AM by Sterling »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 09:12:07 AM »
All my test setups are Promox VMs, when sure goes onto the home server and aprod server for a NFP
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »

Yes, I believe that is what prevents upgrade. I think there is a note or bug somewhere.

We'll look at addressing it in due course.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/21/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

MySQL 8.0+ or MariaDB 10.2/10.3/10.4/10.5 (recommended)

PHP 8.0 (recommended)

We have PHP 8 but think Maria DB only have rpms for Maria 10.1.x on CentOS 7.

Not sure if Remi will do some.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »
up to mariadb 10.5 is available via sclo on centos 7.

juste need to make contribs to add them. 

ther eis a thin line with forcing update with older db in nextcloud. you can bork your install particularly with plugins.
some will softly fails and give the error and the mysql command they executed so you can force manually an index creation with a lower key size (frequent error is that older db does not support key size of any size)
but sole will fail without hint.

could you please open a bug for the file permission if you believe you were not the ome wrongly setting the perms on the file? so we can fix this for others

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »
could you please open a bug for the file permission if you believe you were not the ome wrongly setting the perms on the file? so we can fix this for others

This was entirely my fault. I was changing/adding some config.php options and made a config.php.org backup in case I needed to revert back to the original one, and I changed perms on it for security. I've decided to store backups like that elsewhere, outside of my Nextcloud directory from now on.