Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

RAID setup post install

Offline smeghead

• +0/-0
RAID setup post install
« on: February 21, 2021, 02:18:54 PM »
Hi all

Posting here in case I've missed something, if it turns out to be a bug I'll post.

Just built an SME10 box using a single SSD, patched & updated to 10b1

How do I now add another disk & configure as RAID, the console menu says no disk (due to the 10b1 install no longer being a degraded RAID1) so nothing to add to; LVM2 rpm is installed.

What are my options here, I REALLY would rather not have to start again from scratch.

TIA

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: RAID setup post install
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 04:36:02 PM »
It's not a bug, and is documented as you have mentioned.

Upstream changes mean we can't currently offer degraded arrays on install. (Not sure if you can create one in the manual partitioner??)

For simplicity I'd start it again.

You can convert to RAID.... Any stock CentOS guide will explain. Just have to make sure you get the fstab file right.

*But* it isn't for the faint hearted, and a reinstall at this point will save you a lot of time & heartache.

IMHO bite the bullet......

(You mght also consider what many of us have done and user a hypervisor eg Proxmox)
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: RAID setup post install
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »
Yep, pretty much screwed, 1 HD straight install NO degraded array, two drives on install will get you a raid 1, more as per the wiki, and will also allow access to raid management from console, add larger, remove dud, add new etc etc.

The beta 1 produced a Raid1 with 2xHDs straight up, some new updates now available not related to those functions.

If you are keen to learn something new it can be done, might take some big ones :-)
FS type will also play a part there. We have now found you can choose other fs like ext3/4 lvm and no lvm using the graphic manual partioning in the graphic installer,

***** Warning, until a new beta this will result in a non-booting system that requires a command line change from the start screen by pressing 'e' when the kernel selection screen is shown. There is a bug covering this, once booted there is a package update for grub that resolves this in subsequent reboots.

useful in VM scenarios as it removes some overhead with a slight performance gain and improves access to other features of the hypervisor, access to single file restore from the hypervisor backup functions so I am told.
--
qui scribit bis legit