Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

User problem on WIndowsa Windows 10 client

Offline Raphaël

• +0/-0
User problem on WIndowsa Windows 10 client
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »
Hi and sorry sorry poor English.

We have a problem on a production SmeServer 9.2 with the SME serving as a Domain controller.
I think, there is a (recent, after the correction of the Yum update error) update that prevents new users of a client (on Windows 10, already mounted to the domain) from connecting.
It's a "The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted" error style.
Old users log in without a problem.
I installed a fresh test SME 9.2 without updating, inject the backup, and the same new user on the same client connect without any problem.

Is anybody else have this problem ?
Thank you, i hope my message is clear.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: User problem on WIndowsa Windows 10 client
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 12:14:20 PM »
Latest e-smith-samba updates default to smb2 to match standard Windows 10 having smb1 turned off..

You can set smb1 by a db command - see this bug https://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10970

other way is to downgrade to previous e-smith-samba rpm
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
I have a very similar problem (possibly related). Smeserver 9.2 with the latest updates acting as a "Workgroup and Domain controller". I am unable to "add" a newly created domain user to a Windows 10 Pro computer (latest updates 20H2 ver 19042.746) which is already connected to the domain. Error message is "This PC is having problems communicating with the domain".
If the domain user has already logged on to the Windows 10 computer (ie. they have a local profile in c:\Users) there is no problems logging in but if I try to login with an existing domain account not previously logged in to that PC, I get this error: "We can't sign you in with this credential because this domain isnt available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization's network".
I have seen this problem on two different smeserver 9.2 domain controllers. I was able to remove the computer from the domain and then add it back to the domain without any problems. I tried to rename the computer then remove and add it back to the domain and also have tried the following:

Code: [Select]
#config setprop smb ServerMinProtocol SMB1
#expand-template /etc/samba/smb.conf
#signal-event post-upgrade
#signal-event reboot
and
Code: [Select]
#yum downgrade e-smith-samba
#signal-event post-upgrade
#signal-event reboot

And still unable to add a new domain user to the PC or logon with an existing domain account (that has no local profile). No issues logging in with a previous user account that has logged on before. Not sure what's going on.
Best Regards,
Lloyd

Offline Raphaël

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:34:26 AM »
Hi.
As TerryF have mentioned I have downgraded the e-smith-samba-2.4.0-27.el6.sme package to the e-smith-samba-2.4.0-24.el6.sme package and now, i can connect new users.

It's seems not possible to desactive SMB1 in Windows 10, without downgrading the samba package, and use smeserver 9.2 as a Domain Controller.

Regards
Raphaël
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:51:51 PM by Raphaël »

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 03:05:57 AM »
OK I just checked and mine is working now also. I'm sure I tried it after re-booting both the workstation and server and it wasn't working but now is? Thanks Terry.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »
There is more to the update than just a change to smb used, that was the major one for windows users but also includes other changes to samba from upstream..

Anyway glad a simple downgrade solves the issue, I am happy on the latest :-)

Added: Very Unlikely to be any future updates or changes, pretty well zero :-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:08:51 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 08:08:03 AM »
I should add here I also use wsdd on my sme9 home server and one in a NFP setting, both have smb2 enabled does the job in those situations.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 03:23:03 PM »
What are the commands to install the downgrade?
I've never had to do this before, and am having this problem.
I have downloaded the RPM, and have it copied to the server.
I am using SME 9.2
Would I have the same issue if I upgrade to SME 10?
TIA
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:26:44 PM by crazybob »
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 11:37:34 PM »
Dont need to download etc..

just issue a # yum downgrade e-smith-samba  - from the cli

Added: this also means your windows clients remaining with smb1, Mr Microsoft has tried to dump it last 2-3 years, who knows what the next MS update will bring
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:57:34 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 02:02:26 AM »
I did as you said, and this is what it responded with. I tried this on two servers.

# yum downgrade e-smith-samba
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, smeserver
Setting up Downgrade Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http or file.
 Eg. Invalid release/repo/arch combination/
removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors: /var/cache/yum/x86_64/6/base/mirrorli
st.txt
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Not sure why there are lines through part of this. just doing a copy and paste
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:04:56 AM by crazybob »
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 07:01:36 AM »
Have you followed the details provided here?  https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,54338.0.html

The reason I ask is I just tried the downgrade and it worked OK

https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,54338.0.html
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 07:06:10 AM »
Would I have the same issue if I upgrade to SME 10?
TIA

There is no upgrade to sme10 as yet, beta is close to release, use in prod environment at your own risk. SME10 and the wsdd work fine on my test VMs, if it does the job for you only testing will tell.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline nicolatiana

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »
I can confirm the same problem of ldkeen for me: to be able to add domain users locally the only solution is downgrading to e-smith-samba-2.4.0-24.el6.sme.noarch and enable SMB1.0 in Windows 10.Maybe there are some more tricks to be applied to have full functionality with SMB2.0.
Another important thing to test over SME10.
Consulente di Smeserver.it -  Soluzioni e supporto su Sme server in Italia.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
I should add here I also use wsdd on my sme9 home server and one in a NFP setting, both have smb2 enabled does the job in those situations.

Remember that wsdd was not released as a contrib for v9 so they probably won't have it.

Also likely forcing use of SMB2 disables the old netbios network browsing so W10 can't 'see' the server.

Connecting via IP should work for connecting to domains

Setting Samba to SMB v1 should also work by name (without having to downgrade) if W10 has SMB v1 enabled.

Samba with SME v10 with SMB v3 works for browsing with the wsdd contrib but needs testing.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline nicolatiana

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »
Remember that wsdd was not released as a contrib for v9 so they probably won't have it.

Also likely forcing use of SMB2 disables the old netbios network browsing so W10 can't 'see' the server.

Connecting via IP should work for connecting to domains

Setting Samba to SMB v1 should also work by name (without having to downgrade) if W10 has SMB v1 enabled.

Samba with SME v10 with SMB v3 works for browsing with the wsdd contrib but needs testing.

https://linux-blog.anracom.com/2020/05/24/samba-4-shares-wsdd-and-windows-10-how-to-list-linux-samba-servers-in-the-win-10-explorer/

This seems to give a good summary.
Consulente di Smeserver.it -  Soluzioni e supporto su Sme server in Italia.