Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Censorship

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
Censorship
« on: January 15, 2021, 05:57:25 AM »
My name is Greg Zartman.  I founded Koozali the project (not the software),but the name and the brand.    I came up with the name Koozali and I personally created and paid for all of the branding that we have today.  Koozali would not be here today without me. 

I am saying this because there are people in this community who tried to to kill this project.  There are people here who tried to kill efforts to expand this project.     

Stephano here is deleting my messages since he is still a moderator, but he has left this community long ago.  and he is also very active with Nethserver, so perhaps Nethserver is planting people here to take over this community as we try to move to a new base.

I have no skin in this game commercially.  I am an engineer by trade and I give my time to this project openly and freely
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:02:33 AM by gzartman »
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.

Offline bunkobugsy

• +4/-0
Re: Censorship
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »
That's too bad :(
I like very much SME Server, hope to see v10 out and stable.
I think it will work fine (for a while) in PDC mode with cripled Samba 4,
but having it in AD/DC mode would be a great plus (if doable).
I'm sure neth is great, but personaly still preffer SME.
Sad too see this community dwindle.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »
well, since greg didn't gave me the time to answer to his private message, I write here, in public.

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Stefano Zamboni, i'm a community member since 13 years, moderator since at least 12, I've been a board member and, finally, I'm still the member with most contributions on this forum.

that said, a little bit of recap:
recentrly, in this topic (cfr. https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,54342.0.html) I posted the opinion of a centos' community senior about the future of centos.

Greg, likely inadvertently, instead of replying me citing my post, edited it (he's a moderator, he can do it) adding some thoughts of his; something I disagree with.
the issue was that the final result looked like I posted it.
First reaction was from reetp that was a little disappointed with my post.
Once I discovered the issue, I re-edited my post setting it in its original content; then I wrote a PM to Greg, asking for clarifications.
I also spoke with John (reetp) that, once understood the situation, chaged his answer to my post.

from my side, and I can speak for John and every other moderator team member, there was no censorship intention.. there wasn't in the far past, there's no now and there won't be in the future.

in attach the moderation log I'm referring to

HTH
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:24:12 PM by Stefano »

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 03:27:17 PM »
well, since greg didn't gave me the time to answer to his private message, I write here, in public.

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Stefano Zamboni, i'm a community member since 13 years, moderator since at least 12, I've been a board member and, finally, I'm still the member with most contributions on this forum.

that said, a little bit of recap:
recentrly, in this topic (cfr. https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,54342.0.html) I posted the opinion of a centos' community senior about the future of centos.

Greg, likely inadvertently, instead of replying me citing my post, edited it (he's a moderator, he can do it) adding some thoughts of his; something I disagree with.
the issue was that the final result looked like I posted it.
First reaction was from reetp that was a little disappointed with my post.
Once I discovered the issue, I re-edited my post setting it in its original content; then I wrote a PM to Greg, asking for clarifications.
I also spoke with John (reetp) that, once understood the situation, chaged his answer to my post.

from my side, and I can speak for John and every other moderator team member, there was no censorship intention.. there wasn't in the far past, there's no now and there won't be in the future.

in attach the moderation log I'm referring to

HTH

Stefano, I have been a member of SME for 21 years so I've been around here awhile too.

If I did edit your post, it was entirely by accident because I don't moderate this forum at all and I rarely use this forum plateform.

However, you went in on December 16 and deleted everything I said about Dan, which I felt he needed to hear.

If you sent me a PM, I never received it. 

I'm not sure why talking to John would help this situation since I've not personally talked to John in probably going on 2 years.
----
Greg J. Zartman

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
Stefano, I have been a member of SME for 21 years so I've been around here awhile too.

I know for sure, my firend.. accidentally I found I'm here since 2004  :mrgreen:

If I did edit your post, it was entirely by accident because I don't moderate this forum at all and I rarely use this forum plateform.

And I thought the same when I saw

However, you went in on December 16 and deleted everything I said about Dan, which I felt he needed to hear.

I can agree with the fact that Dan needs to hear something, but, if so, it is something from you and not from me.
the big issue is that editing my post you put your opinion in my mouth and that's no good.
So I deleted your part, leaving just mine.

If you sent me a PM, I never received it. 

well.. it's time for me to apologize: I'm sure I wrote you, but I don't find the message.
So, please, excuse me

I'm not sure why talking to John would help this situation since I've not personally talked to John in probably going on 2 years.

maybe my english is faulty, but I try again: after you edited my post, John answered "me" here with hard words. I read the answer and in the beginning I din't manage in understanding why he did it so.
I went here, saw your modifications, the edited and wrote a message to John to explain what happened.. then he changed his post, that's all.

I'd add something else for clarity:
- I'm not an active member here or in bugzilla, I'm just a lurker now, but I never left the community
- the member that "left" is Steph, and yes, he's a very active developer of nethserver.. but he did not abandon us, sometimes he comes here an get in touch with us. for sure, since I know him very well even in RL (as for you, Greg, do you remember), he won't, *NEVER*, do something against SME and its community.
- John is, among a group of  other active developers, bringing all the weight of keeping SME alive on his shoulders..I think you'd really apologize with him, I'm sure he doesn't deserve such an offence.

on my side, no issue, just disappointment for what happened
Ciao

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 01:07:14 AM »
Guys, I am sure the best of intentions were the uppermost in original posts/edits, I know you both through here and do not believe that hurt was intended. An intent, an idea sometimes get scrambled unintentionally.

Thumbs up to you both as I DO know how much you both have done in the past and continue to support..

Maybe leave it there, so close to the sme10 beta, so close
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 12:04:47 PM »
- the member that "left" is Steph, and yes, he's a very active developer of nethserver.. but he did not abandon us, sometimes he comes here an get in touch with us. for sure, since I know him very well even in RL (as for you, Greg, do you remember), he won't, *NEVER*, do something against SME and its community.

Yep that was a good FOSDEM time, I recall it well. That's damn pandemic forbids me to travel so we have to wait to take a beer together one day. You know me well I do love to code or I code for love, who knows.

This is something I owe to the SME Server project, I became a free software developer.
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 12:11:08 AM »
I was wrong.  There wasn't censorship going on.    I don't want to go into the details, but bottom line is that I mis- interpreted the Forum software because I don't use the moderation tools at all even though I have them.

Please accept my apology.  I was wrong. 

I don't want this to take away from the effort that is being made by the few who are making SME 10 happen.

I am not a part of this effort at all so don't read into my message as I'm part of this effort and I'm posting this to keep things positive.  I am not part of that effort and they deserve all the credit.

The progress is all on those guys and we need to be giving them kudos.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:15:21 AM by gzartman »
----
Greg J. Zartman

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 12:49:49 AM »
Mate, you started it all way back, huge amount of work, I well remember the efforts, so yes you are part of it..

anyway, knew it could only have been a misinterpretation, know you both well enough to appreciate that.

Keep safe, the flag is still flying :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 07:21:15 AM »
Mate, you started it all way back, huge amount of work, I well remember the efforts, so yes you are part of it..

anyway, knew it could only have been a misinterpretation, know you both well enough to appreciate that.

Keep safe, the flag is still flying :-)

Remind John Crisp of all of these things.

None of this would have even taken place if it weren't for this guy.  Bugger that guy!

Water under the bridge. 

As I have said before and I will continue to say, I will do what ever I can to support this community and and this this project.  My life circumstances now don't allow me to be involved, but this doesn't change the fact I support SME Server and will do what ever I can for it.

In time, I believe my circumstances will change and I can become more involved again on the dev level. 

----
Greg J. Zartman

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
No worries mate, keep on keeping on
--
qui scribit bis legit