Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FTP and SFTP access not possible

Offline beast

• +0/-0
FTP and SFTP access not possible
« on: December 05, 2020, 08:18:04 AM »
Hi

Connection is refused from Ubuntu on the local network.

In server-manager it is set to enabled from local network for both FTP and SFTP. Have tried for a short while to allow from anywhere with no luck.

Anny suggestions?

Thank you in advance
Benny

Offline beast

• +0/-0
Re: FTP and SFTP access not possible
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 08:35:25 AM »
Very strange a windows laptop on the same local network is able to make a connection......
The Ubuntu OS and everything else gets its IP from the servers DHCP.
So the problem does not seam to be the server or at least not directly.
Have tried with different programs on the Ubuntu system (browser, FileZilla, kommand line etc)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:38:02 AM by beast »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
Are you running any blocking like fail2ban?

Check your iptables logs.

Mine all work with Xubuntu 18.04 Filezilla SFTP (FTP disabled on all my servers) using SSH keys (I disable SSH password access too)

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline beast

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »
This is really stupid - sorry about that.

It works fine with the IP adr of the server. The problem was that I have used 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as DNS servers on ubuntu. So the traffic must go out the router and back in ;-)

Maybe others can learn from my mistake......

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
:lol:

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline HP

• +0/-0
  • Hmm...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 02:36:28 AM »
This is really stupid - sorry about that.

It works fine with the IP adr of the server. The problem was that I have used 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as DNS servers on ubuntu. So the traffic must go out the router and back in :wink:

Maybe others can learn from my mistake......

Oh yeah !
The manual DNS settings...

May be better to let the server in charge for the LAN dealing with this, as it could also answer DNS requests about machines on the LAN...

... even if really needed to tinker around the /etc/hosts file ... what I do Not recommend to novices, unless they are ready to "break" their system(s) for the duration of the learning journey with help from reachable(?) online Search Engines, of course ! :wink:

To this, I am just adding what I have also thought for a short while, while reading:

Another pretty common issue when we forget about particular settings changed since quite some time ago on a Linux client machine(s):

Firewall activated (?)

But, thinking more about it, it would be client machine entering connections blocked, not initiated ones from the client machine itself (as mentioned in this thread)...

Well my 2 cents worth "contribution", in case it helps people doing a search on the forums before posting...

Cheers !
- Excuse for typos: I may really need glasses too... :-P
- SME Server power since 2004