Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 9.x - EOL 2020/11/30

Offline SchulzStefan

• +0/-0
SME Server 9.x - EOL 2020/11/30
« on: October 02, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
Announcing EOL of SME 9.x while SME 10 is still in alpha? Hmm...

regards,
stefan
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.

Time, 1973
(Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour)

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: SME Server 9.x - EOL 2020/11/30
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
Announcing EOL of SME 9.x while SME 10 is still in alpha? Hmm...

Like we don't already know? Or are you just being purposefully irritating?

You can "Hmmm" all you want. You know perfectly well that it won't get out of Alpha without help.

We have been saying the same thing for a loooooong time.

It is as much YOUR responsibility as any one else.

Where is YOUR code? What have YOU tested? Why haven't YOU asked for a login to Rocket and asked what YOU can do to help?

Remember this is open source. It is up to YOU to get involved and help - not just sit there and expect others to do it all for you.

And don't give excuses about 'I am not good enough or 'I don't have time'.

WE don't have time. None of us really do. We all have jobs and lives and families. And pandemics.

And we have said many times before that there is plenty that CAN be done. You just need to get involved and ask.

So please. No more reminders.

Thanks.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline SchulzStefan

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
Like we don't already know? Or are you just being purposefully irritating?

You can "Hmmm" all you want. You know perfectly well that it won't get out of Alpha without help.

We have been saying the same thing for a loooooong time.

It is as much YOUR responsibility as any one else.

Where is YOUR code? What have YOU tested? Why haven't YOU asked for a login to Rocket and asked what YOU can do to help?

Remember this is open source. It is up to YOU to get involved and help - not just sit there and expect others to do it all for you.

And don't give excuses about 'I am not good enough or 'I don't have time'.

WE don't have time. None of us really do. We all have jobs and lives and families. And pandemics.

And we have said many times before that there is plenty that CAN be done. You just need to get involved and ask.

So please. No more reminders.

Thanks.

Not quite sure what you want to tell me? I'm not a coder or programmer, but you may (or not) search for my messages and you'll see, I shared any solution for any problem I worked on. Also for testing builds and alpha or beta releases, as well as for contribs. Back to the year 2001 with a sme 5 alpha box.

I will not discuss my personal opinion about Rocket besides this forum - but here's still a subforum named development. You may consider (or not) it could just be easier to read about problems in the development subforum, while users are already in this forum, instead switching between Rocket and this place. Your decision...

I know perfectly what open source software is. You don't have to tell me. Therefore I'm testing, sharing and donating. I assume, you didn't want to offend me and you've been answering in general to anybody.

Your hint about time, jobs, families and pandemic is unnecessary. No need to tell me, as you don't know anything about me.

In the end, yes, no more reminders from me. It was not my intention to offend anybody. It's perfectly o.k. pushing people to test with this announcement.

regards,
stefan

Time, 1973

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
I'm not a coder or programmer

Ahhh - the usual. Didn't you get my large hint?

I know - I have answered enough of your questions.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. You do NOT have to be a coder to help.

And if you helped, you would learn to code a bit, which is exactly what I did. I am not a coder either, but believe me, I have plenty to do.

There are a mountain of things NON coders can do. But they either have to get off their butts and work it out themselves, or ask for jobs.

I don't see either happening.

I will not discuss my personal opinion about Rocket besides this forum - but here's still a subforum named development

Yeah, and look how much conversation there has been??? Not exactly thrived over the last few years?

To be honest I'm not actually bothered about your opinion on it.

I had the instance setup as a test for my main work server and offered to access for anyone to try and stimulate some interest. it has worked quite well. (note - I DID something)

It is extremely handy to chat real time with some of the other people - it is easy to copy and paste code etc. It is an awful lot better to work with when you are developing or testing stuff than forums. You can do it in real time, there and then. And I use it on my mobile too, so I have even helped when I have been on holiday.

Believe me, literally chatting and fixing and building and pushing and installing and then testing and repeating several times, almost in minutes. You just CANNOT do it on a forum like that. And as you have never logged in you really wouldn't know.

I don't use it to harvest or sell your details. Knowing the Rocket team as well as I do it is pretty safe and secure, unlike some of the competition. I haven't left it set to open registration because it IS my server. And I don't want to  be spammed to death. I haven't set one up on Koozali infra yet as I haven't had the time. We may use Rocket or a matrix server. TBA.

Nonetheless I still periodically look in here, but the only requests are for help. Nothing much else.

And quite frankly this is 2020 not 2001. It's the way teams work now. Slack, Teams, you name it.

If you don't want to join us then start DOING something that we can see. I can't see a SINGLE post from you in either the Dev or SME v10 forum. Not a SINGLE question??

Neither can I see any of your v10 bugs. Are you telling me you tested v10 and didn't find any?

Hmmmm.

In the end, yes, no more reminders from me. It was not my intention to offend anybody. It's perfectly o.k. pushing people to test with this announcement.

Yes, we do not need reminders and it was totally unnecessary.

I've been pushing people to test for a long time, and quite frankly very few care. Most just expect it delivered on a plate.

And that's why you are still at Alpha 5. If you want it finished you really need to start helping instead of sniping from the posh seats.

Your hint about time, jobs, families and pandemic is unnecessary. No need to tell me, as you don't know anything about me.

Actually, I think I do. Because your original one line post was hinting that WE should be "doing something" and that we were clearly runnng around doing nothing.

Yup - I don't need to know any of your details. It's about what you DO.

We DO, and we have to fit that in around all the other stuff in our lives.

We are ALL volunteers. None of us get paid for anything we do with SME. And unhelpful comments like yours just make me think "why should I bother - I'll spend more time with my family thanks - you can fix SME yourself"

So. DO something. Don't talk about it. I look forward to your testing and wiki pages and bug reports and questions........
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline SchulzStefan

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
I know - I have answered enough of your questions.

Sorry for bothering you. But this is like testing. So you know also, that I shared solutions to my questions and always reported back. Pretty sure you also checked the bug tracker.

And quite frankly this is 2020 not 2001. It's the way teams work now. Slack, Teams, you name it.

Yes, for some of us 20 years are a lot. Time is not standing still. Do it in your way. Maybe I'm too old and too slow.

We are ALL volunteers. None of us get paid for anything we do with SME. And unhelpful comments like yours just make me think "why should I bother - I'll spend more time with my family thanks - you can fix SME yourself"

Very sorry for my unhelpful comment. I don't expect anything from a volunteer. But be sure of one thing - I do fix my problems for myself. Please don't ever answer to any question of me in this forum. I don't want to waste your time any longer. Go your way.

So. DO something. Don't talk about it. I look forward to your testing and wiki pages and bug reports and questions........

In my understanding it's not like that I have to report anything (to you) as long, as there is to report something. Assuming that people are doing nothing because they are not reporting (to you) is funny. I'm not in school any longer. I learned to (at least double) check a problem before reporting. Means, before anybodys wasting time. There are a few problems you'll not solve in this forum or in Rocket. It depends on others.

Again - do it all your way. Be pushy. Take care of your followers. Apologize again, too old and too slow.

At least, maybe you should tune down a little bit.

regards,
stefan
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:06:10 PM by SchulzStefan »

Time, 1973

Offline SchulzStefan

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
To be honest I'm not actually bothered about your opinion on it.

You don't have to. I'm just someone who is staying with SME for a long time.

Time, 1973