Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Koozali SME v10 Alpha 5 - coming soon, we hope!

Offline warren

• +0/-0
Re: Koozali SME v10 Alpha 5 - coming soon, we hope!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
Just finished testing install of SMe10 Alpha5 on following  hardware :
1. hardware installed :
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz
RAM 4GB

2. HD 1x 160GB
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

Was bit slow , ( i was using a usb2 Sandisk ) the whole install took 20 minutes. No Errors , finished setup, configured as server only, Internet connection test was ok.

Did a second test on more modern hardware :
1. core i3-7100 3.9Ghz
RAM 8GB DDR4

Hard Disk :WesternDigital :320GB -WD3200BEVT

also installed fine, configured as server-only, internet test connection passed.

I used balenaEtcher ( https://www.balena.io/etcher/?ref=etcher_footer ) to write the iso to usb disk.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
Just finished a net install, which worked without any real problems (apart from having to turn the primary ethernet port on when the installer first started). Took a while and caused me a bit of confusion when it said that the root user was disabled - forgot about the first reboot setup that SME normally performs.

I'll have a play with that in the next few days. I've also got a Turion-based HP microserver which I use for testing purposes, so I'll see what I can get out of the full install iso on it. It doesn' t have any sort of optical drive, so I'll rewrite the iso to another flash drive and see what it does on that hardware. It also has only one ethernet port and is a royal pain to install a pci-e card, so it will be a stand-alone server at best...

Winners are grinners, go as hard as you like, all and any info helps, some of the  people who do know their way around a bit of code :-) have had to return to the their labours to keep roofs and food on the table :-) they will catch up when time permits, so if it seems to get a little quiet its not because ppl aren't working on it, some of us are still beavering away in the back room, looking for things for the them to fix etc
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »
Just finished testing install of SMe10 Alpha5 on following  hardware :

Thanks Warren, added to notes for future reference..go the wallabies :-) dunno when though
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
re random fails during the install of SME10, it would be most helpful if anyone who can try an install using USB or DVD in different hardware, it is appearing as not so much a straight compatability issue as "definitivelly there is some i/o requirements with the installer" so if you can try USB 2 and 3, sata vers, HDs slow and fast :-)  SSD if you have any lying around :-)

A lot I know, if you have any old or even better new hardware free to give it a run and lets us know here the details it will be a more than helpful exercise..

Thanks
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 02:13:12 PM »
The A4 iso dropped into text mode when from the install menu you select  Troubleshooting - > Install Koozali SME Server10 in basic graphics mode..  The A5 iso drops to the lowest graphics mode the system will take and does not go as far as the A4 iso and enter text mode.

If you need to enter text mode to install because your hardware wont play with the current graphics side of the installer simpley press tab and add the word - text - to the end of the line of options, thats it, the text installer will now start to do the install.

I beleive this behaviour is intended and hardware drivers etc have been configed by upstream as seen.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline krisden

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Hello sme community,

Install successfull 10 alpha-5 from usb stick 2.0 on a Fujitsu Primenergy TX100S3 - xeon E3-1200 - ram ecc=16Gb - 2*500Gb WD Enterprise (not new, no raid controller just ahci) => raid1 installer do the job  8-) ; boot support prepared through Gnome disk utily (restore iso on usb stick, simply)
Backup restore works with a sata Tandberg unit + cartridge from my sme-9.2 (I do it before, on another installation, but at this time I wanted everything is from scratch).

Updates applied from screen and keyboard attached to the server through server-manager => ok
Take a try with ssh on my local network, admin account access is ok but not for root or standard user : root login and password enabled (for tests) gives :
Code: [Select]
ssh -p 20802 my_standard_user@192.168.2.100 -o PubkeyAuthentication=no
Last login: Tue Sep 29 19:34:25 2020 from pc-00010.mydomain.fr
************ Welcome to SME Server 10.0alpha5 *************

Before editing configuration files, familiarise
yourself with the automated events and templates
systems.

Please take the time to read the documentation
https://wiki.koozali.org/Main_Page

Remember that SME Server is free to download
and use, but it is not free to build

Please help the project :
https://wiki.koozali.org/Donate

/usr/bin/rssh: Permission denied
Connection to 192.168.2.100 closed.

I don't add this user to ssh group, in server-manager it is missing the "remote user access" section and I don't remenber if it is a part of a contrib or nativ installed ?
And for root tries, system asks for password but it doesn't accept it, like keyboard mapping is not correct (?)

Another point is about proxy in server-manager : it is enable but my choice is "server only" (a little bug ?)

To be continued, no more time tonight and THANKS*10000000 to all for this great job :)

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 10:42:58 AM »
Hi, and thanks for testing!!!

Please keep going :-)

If you want to chat to us about anything to do with development/testing then ask for a login to our Rocket.Chat instance where we tend to hang out. We have some French speakers too :-)

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation