Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

fault finding mail issues

Offline david000

• +0/-0
fault finding mail issues
« on: May 15, 2020, 07:06:05 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone point me to the best log for checking to see why mail isn't being collected ?

I've changed servers and one of my accounts is no longer collecting mail via the "External Mailbox Retrieval" option. I suspect it's because the new one is using SSL but when I change the setting it makes no difference.

I've tried forwarding mail to the 'catch all' box we use for everything else but it doesn't seem to route correctly to the desired user.

I guess I can ask for the SSL to be switched off but that seems sub optimal.

I'm not super technical but will have a go.

Thanks

David

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
Re: fault finding mail issues
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 03:42:30 AM »
You need to have a collection frequency set up in the email / receive tab.

If that is OK, go to where you set up the collection and turn on the debug option. Let it do a couple of cycles then check the maillog. This will give you so detailed information of what goes and where it is failing,

HTH
Peter

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
You need to have a collection frequency set up in the email / receive tab.

If that is OK, go to where you set up the collection and turn on the debug option. Let it do a couple of cycles then check the maillog. This will give you so detailed information of what goes and where it is failing,

Thanks. The frequency is set so I'll have a look at the debug and resulting maillog.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
Just a comment, I suspect your problem is global. If you just debug just ONE user account in the first instance, you will find the log much less noisy. If it becomes necessary to debug the other users, doing them one at a time will give less noisy logs and make the job easier. Of course, you will turn debug off as you resolve each user !!!

HTH & Good luck.
Peter

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
Thanks Pete.

Since posting mail is coming in ok, but I'm struggling to understand if SSL collection is working or even possible in SME ?  It turns out my external server will accept both connections.

In the 'general' mail collection setting it's not mentioned so I assume normal POP3, yet in the 'user' external retrieval settings there seems to some 'experimental' settings.

I think the confusion in the opening post was that although the collection must have been working it was slow for mail to pop up in a user account. Will be interesting to see the log when I have a chance to look at it.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
I've just added a Fetchmail section here as I can never bloody find it when I need it!!!

https://wiki.contribs.org/DB_Variables_Configuration#Fetchmail

You can set Verbosity to verbose and signal-event email-update or for a quick test just edit /etc/fetchmail and change --silent to --verbose

Then watch your maillog.

Code: [Select]
tail -f /var/log/maillog
A read of the fetchmail man pages may be worthwhile too.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »
Thank you :)