Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Connection to NBN in bridged mode

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
Re: Connection to NBN in bridged mode
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 10:39:15 PM »
My ISP in Australia required VLAN tagging for my FTTC NBN connection. I suspect that TPG also require this. It is required for the data connection.
My setup uses a separate tp-link C7v5 router/ap with OpenWRT installed for the firewall/AP/Wireguard VPN with my SME in server only mode. The tp-link device handles the required vlan processing.

Offline ozebloke

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
gday

if i may drop in here, though dunno if im useful ?

i too have an aussie NBN FTTC NCD connection.

the NCD is indeed a modem using vDSL over 1 pair of copper, reverse powering the DPU in the pit or on the pole on the street.

the LAN side of the NCD is a bridged ethernet connection.

i dont have any "telco supplied" modem or router.

to prove a point, if i plug my laptop (dhcp) into this NCD LAN port i can access the internet without any authentication.

however, i usually have the NCD LAN port plugged into a ubiquiti UDM WAN port (so theres the gateway / firewall) and then the rest of my internal network via the UDM's LAN ports 1 - 4 (so theres the routing ) of managed switches & wifi ap's  machines etc).   

the UDM's WAN port also accesses the internet without any authentication.

a quick look on the inside of my UDM WAN configuration certainly indicates "DHCP ipv4" and its working fine  as usual.

in anticipation of deploying a fresh instance of koozali sme v10 ive requested and received a static WAN ip from my isp.

as expected all the same tests above are fine, i can still access the internet via NCD LAN without any authentication.

my intended sme server has 2 x gbit LAN ports, configured as normal ETH0 = int / ETH1 = ext.   

for setup & testing i isolate my LAN fully from the NCD, i connect the sme server ETH1 to the NCD LAN (remember this is a known working bridged ethernet service and should see the internet), i connect a dumb 8 port switch to the sme server eth0, then my laptop to the dumb 8 port switch (dhcp there from the sme) for setup & proving via means of web & telnet (putty).

it would seem reasonable to expect that a sme console initiated internet test would pass on ETH1 ?

but it doesnt..... !

what went wrong ?

d

Offline ozebloke

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »
IT WORKS ! :-P

for aussie broadband it goes like this:

set as server / gateway mode

select dhcp (send username & password)

but set no user or password

let the config complete & reboot on its own

ethernet cable from your preferred server nic to the nbn ncd

then RESET THE FTTC NCD from the ABB app

might take a few minutes the FIRST TIME to get going, but server reboots after that are quick as usual

about the ABB FTTC:

ethernet WAN, dynamic, dhcp, ipoe, no user or pass, no vlan.

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »
have you tried selecting ethernet address as authentification ?

this should normally work in this typical use. 

Offline ozebloke

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 01:43:52 AM »
gday

it has the same effect.

basically, just choose dhcp, add no further info to authenticate, the trick is to reset the ncd after youve configured and connected the server to it.

d

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 03:09:37 AM »
yes something to know with most bridged modem: they need a reboot when you change the computer behind.