Koozali.org formerly Contribs.org

SME10 - the clock is ticking

Offline ReetP

SME10 - the clock is ticking
« on: December 09, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
Yes, the few of us who actually do anything here are acutely aware that time is running out on v9.

EOL is the end of 2020.

We are trying to push ahead with stuff but we are very very few, and there is a mountain of work to do, and that doesn't just mean coding.

Come and talk to us on Rocket.Chat where the idle chatter is happening.

Volunteer to do something. Anything. Don't just talk about it. Do it.

If you can't code you can document, test, or pay for a developer to help, or just chip in some cash. Right now man hours are more important than cash.

Don't wash your hands, walk away and say "I can't"' or "I don't have time".

We could do that ourselves, and then what would happen?

Koozali SME Server, like most Open Source software, is community based. Everyone in the community is responsible for it.

If v10 isn't released it isn't 'OUR' fault, and we won't have a conscience about it because we are trying.

It is EVERYONES fault, particularly that of those who did nothing.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline holck

Re: SME10 - the clock is ticking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:54:00 PM »
How do I join you on rocket.chat?

/Jesper H, Denmark

Offline ReetP

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
How do I join you on rocket.chat?

DM me name and email address and I'll set up a user account for you :-)
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »
I have a series of servers installed; at present they are just under 10, half of which are "left to themselves" while still reading administrative emails for pure "personal pleasure". I was thinking in these days that, within a year, things will have to change.

I don't have high skills and I don't think I can be very helpful (except to say "this and that don't work"). The amounts I earn thanks to SME have been insignificant (let's say I have "entered" in some companies thanks to SME and then I have done something else), however I have to give support for the systems that are still active.

A couple of servers are exclusively used as fileservers so the problem (more or less) I don't ask myself, even after the EOL date they will only have that function and should not be a problem; but I have 3 that are used as mailserver, one also very used and with about 60GB of emails inside.

Not being able to be "technically" helpful and wanting to support both my client (who pays shit but is the head of one of my family member and so I have to give him assistance (almost for free)) and the "SME project", I was then wondering if a "substantial" donation (in addition to my annual $ 50) could help. Someone talked about "paying" one or more developers to carry out the necessary preparatory steps for the release of SME 10. How much work is there to do? If you had to pay a developer how much time (indicatively) is necessary? What could be a suitable donation?

Let me be clear ... I am a "poor man" who tries to make ends meet thanks also to SME, but I can try to sensitize some customers and see if I can pull something out.
Smeserver.it -  Soluzioni e supporto su Sme server in Italia

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 09:47:23 PM »
When a few put up their hands to do something others follow..appreciated
--
qui scribit bis legit

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
If you can't code you can document, test, or pay for a developer to help, or just chip in some cash. Right now man hours are more important than cash.
Hello sme world  8)

I would not be shocked if you publish a table which would state the financial needs concerning the hours of development necessary for the success of the new version.

If the need is financial, let's stop veiling our face and express it clearly: how many hours of development should we count? How many people are needed and how much does one hour per person cost?

Could we imagine crowdfunding once the total sum of needs has been expressed? And how do you set this up if ok?

Have a nice day,

--
Christophe