Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Ready to be flamed. SME restoring defaults

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
Ready to be flamed. SME restoring defaults
« on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
Ok, I admit it, I was somewhat, in fact, totally confused with Dmarc, DKIM & SPF ! And self Signed Cert
So found out quite a while ago how to disable them. Yes I know, dumb thing to do, but it was my home mail server and nothing important.

So the scenario is that I have the server name voip.newbee.local (Actually names changed to protect the stupid, me!)
My ISP forward email to me via SMTP push. I relay out through them for outgoing email. My domain is newbee.co.uk, and have a DNS entry with the ISP that points to mail.newbee.co.uk
I expect the more astute of you can see the problems I am having with none delivered email, and bounced email? All the above that I disabled (Cannot remember how) Obviously now are becoming necessary.

From my limited knowledge I need to rename the server to mail.newbee.co.uk and use itself to deliver mail directly, not the ISP? Does that sound right? Will have to tackle the DKIM etc understanding, and then attempt if a clean install is necessary to restore the email only?

Rambling on a bit here, sorry about that, something that has been on my mind for a while. Oh and flame away! I realise what a moron I have been :-(

Regards Paul.
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Ready to be flamed. SME restoring defaults
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »
If you are relaying your email both inwards and outwards through an outside mail relay you should not need to make any changes on your SME server for SPF or DKIM.

Your ISP should have information somewhere describing how to configure SPF and DKIM (in your public DNS settings) in order to use their servers.

I don't know enough about DMARC to help with that...

Offline Gary Douglas

• +1/-0
Re: Ready to be flamed. SME restoring defaults
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
don't forget to ask your ISP to set a PTR record (reverse DNS record) for mail.newbee.co.uk. for the static IP they have provided.  (the trailing . after uk is required)

You won't need to rename the server, mail.<domain> will be a hostname if your server has the domain.

DMARC, DKIM, and SPF are set using qpsmtpd variables, check the wiki for details.