Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Anyone having issues with Win7, Outlook 2010 and SME9.2?

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
Anyone having issues with Win7, Outlook 2010 and SME9.2?
« on: June 07, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
Ok, I know this sounds odd. I have a number of machines all on Win7 with Outlook 2010 and SME9.2 Using IMAP. For some reason they on occasions cannot send email, and just get the wheel of death.
However, all Win 10 machines with Outlook 2016 or 365 work fine to the same 9.2 SME server!

Now this is obviously something to do with the machines, and wonder if MS have sent out an update or something? Have any of you experienced this problem?

Regards Paul.
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
Re: Anyone having issues with Win7, Outlook 2010 and SME9.2?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
Running win7, outlook 2010 and sme9.2
No problems at all.
Are you using imap or pop for email?
I was running pop for several years and changed to imap about a year ago. No problems with either.

What are you using for network connectivity? Is your problem with your network rather than the s/w?

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 04:05:29 PM »
I'm not having any trouble with Office 2010 -- but I don't use IMAP/SMTP. Instead I am running Sogo on my server and telling Outlook that my SME is an "Exchange Server"

Having said that --
When SME first started supporting TLS on port 25 (SME 7.?) it didn't work for me - ever since then one of the first things I do when setting up a new SME server is disable "TLS Before Auth" for qpsmtpd (config setprop qpsmtpd TlsBeforeAuth 0; signal-event email-update), then setup clients to use SSL on port 465 instead of TLS on port 25.

As to why this problem might pop up on a system that used to work:
- More and more browsers are losing support for older versions of TLS and older cipher suites.  This may be generating corresponding updates to default settings in SME, or you may have made some custom changes to improve server security.  Any change intended to update or improve TLS might affect Outlook 2010 without affecting newer versions. I don't see any recent updates to SME components that are obvious candidates for TLS misbehavior, though.

- The recent emergency patches from Microsoft for Windows 7 and Office 2010 may have made changes related to TLS, SSL, and/or CipherSuite settings, and may be to blame.  Or - if you haven't installed those patches yet, your Win7 systems may all have been infected using the wormable vulnerability addressed in the Windows 7 patch.

- I recently saw a system (albeit a mac, not a win7 system) infected with a malicious local proxy that hijacked dns and attempted to decrypt all communications as a man-in-the-middle.  Luckily the software didn't work all that well and left the system misbehaving.  I mention this because the misbehavior you're describing sounds similar to what I saw on that system.

Use netstat -an |find /i "est" or netstat -an |find /i "127.0.0" in a CMD prompt on the workstation while it is misbehaving to check.  Unless your antivirus software includes a local proxy for email traffic, checking email should not create any connections to localhost.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:45:03 AM »
Drifting - I had issues with that but solved by adding the SME IP address in Windows\systems32\drivers\etc\hosts file, then go to the account settings in outlook, more settings, advanced tab...In the tls/ssl drop down, choose auto and apply/OK all the way out...
That did the trick..Cheers..

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
Drifting - I had issues with that but solved by adding the SME IP address in Windows\systems32\drivers\etc\hosts file, then go to the account settings in outlook, more settings, advanced tab...In the tls/ssl drop down, choose auto and apply/OK all the way out...
That did the trick..Cheers..

Thanks for that, I had been doing similar in that I was choosing IMAP with SSL, so 993 and 465 ports, wonders if the auto makes a difference? Odd part is that it only affects Win7 and OL2010 users, Win10 and 2016 are fine!

Paul.
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!