Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Partition scenario/size

Online nicolatiana

• +0/-0
Partition scenario/size
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
Let's consider a couple of Hp Microserver Gen10 with 4x4 TB hdd to be configured in RAID 5 no spare to get 12 Tb of available space to backup with Affa.

According to specifications Centos 6.x + mdadm should support such a configuration.

Anyone that has tested it "on the field" ?

Nicola
Consulente di Smeserver.it -  Soluzioni e supporto su Sme server in Italia.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Partition scenario/size
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
nicolatiana

RAID howto implies it should be OK
https://wiki.contribs.org/Raid
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Can you? Yes.
Should you? Hmmm. That's the question you should really be asking.

If you are happy taking the risk your backup machine will fail completely whilst rebuilding after a drive failure.

Which will almost certainly occur because your real server has had a catastrophic Raid failure. The law of sod & all that jazz.

Raid 5 with large drives is not the greatest of ideas, and even Raid 6 is flakey at these drive sizes.

Worth some serious thought.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:00:04 AM »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Online nicolatiana

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »
You are right but the main problem is as always "budget".

I know that other solutions would give me more efficiency and safe even if a RAID 6 or 10 too with only 4 drives available does not give more security than RAID 5 but I should try to give the best possible with a 5000/6000 budget.

Two further ways for me, both with some question marks:

1) Using the same solution (a couple of MSGen10) with a Raid1 solution based on 10/12 WDNasWarePro Red disks; the question is: disk so large are supported during install and running ? My experience stops at 4Tb in mirror/R1.

2) More expensive: a couple of Qnaps 6-8 bays (with more raid options) installing Sme inside Qnaps Virtualization Station but I know too few about this (I suppose it's based on KVM/Qemu) and about its performances.

The backup scenario is a 9.2 server (in Esxi 6.5) with about 2,9 Tb data growing in backup up to 5,4 due to usual/physiological file modification and, of course, users devoted to change frequently name to 100 Gb folders  :( [size=78%] .[/size]

Consulente di Smeserver.it -  Soluzioni e supporto su Sme server in Italia.