Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

New Build Hardware

Offline smeghead

• +0/-0
New Build Hardware
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
Hi Brainstrust

I have to build a new system using current hardware (or as current as poss), Dell is what my client uses.

So, if I buy something to run SME 9 (Centos OS 6.10 base) what hardware would be the best .. the main info I'm looking for is chipset support, sata/nvme support, & NIC support.

I could prob use a generation older Optiplex at a pinch.

A dig through Google just produced lots of info of too general a nature, I would like to know what you peeps are actually using.

Cheers

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: New Build Hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
How many users and what functions?  My home server is running well on a 5 year old ARM PC -- but I only have 2 users.

At work I've virtualized my servers, and really enjoy the freedom that gives me to stop worrying about hardware -- is there any chance you can virtualize this client, then run SME as a VM?

I think several folks here in the forums are running SME on top of Proxmox.  I'm not running SME on it, but I've been running several other systems on Proxmox for 4 - 5 years now. 

At work I'm using a paid vmware license with 3 hosts and a SAN, which might be more than you want to spend...

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: New Build Hardware
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
Brains? ROFL...

Horses for courses.

Although I hate HP for their crap attitude to firmware support, their hardware is usually RH certified. That's the thing to look for. After that it's really down to number of users/workload.

All my stuff has run on Prox for a number of years now. You have the benefit of spooling up test installs etc etc.

You can pick up decent secondhand hardware at sensible prices. I'd rather a decent secondhand box to a 'cheap' new one though newer ones tend to be better on power consumption etc.

I can then afford more RAM, bigger raid array, some on the shelf cold spare drives  etc etc.

So you really need to think about workload and run from there. How many users, types of applications etc.

Do you need lots of DB work, file storage or whatever.

Sketch that out and see where you go.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation