Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME server-admin no longer accessable

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
Re: SME server-admin no longer accessable
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
@Michel André, please open another thread as you and your friend are experiencing a different issue than the OP of this thread
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline Parsival1973

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:40 PM »
Ok Dec 6 what was updated

Dec 06 14:30:58 Updated: php56-php-common-5.6.39-1.el6.remi.x86_64     X                                                                                                                                 
Dec 06 14:30:59 Updated: php56-php-cli-5.6.39-1.el6.remi.x86_64  X                                                                                                                                     
Dec 06 14:30:59 Updated: php56-php-xml-5.6.39-1.el6.remi.x86_64   X                                                                                                                                       
Dec 06 14:30:59 Updated: php56-php-process-5.6.39-1.el6.remi.x86_64   X                                                                                                                                   
Dec 06 14:30:59 Updated: libcouchbase-libevent-2.10.2-1.el6.remi.x86_64  X                                                                                                                                 
Dec 06 14:30:59 Updated: libcouchbase-2.10.2-1.el6.remi.x86_64   X                                                                                                                                         
Dec 06 14:30:59 Updated: perl-Geography-Countries-2009041301-1.el6.sme.noarch  X                                                                                                                           
Dec 06 14:31:00 Updated: perl-IP-Country-2.28-1.el6.sme.noarch   X                                                                                                                                         
Dec 06 14:31:00 Updated: 1:php56-php-pear-1.10.7-1.el6.remi.noarch  X                                                                                                                                     
Dec 06 14:31:01 Updated: perl-Net-Ident-1.24-1.el6.sme.noarch                                                                                                                                             
Dec 06 14:31:01 Updated: DCC-1.3.145-25.el6.sme.x86_64                                                                                                                                                   
Dec 06 14:31:01 Updated: perl-CGI-FormMagick-0.93-3.el6.sme.noarch

So php56 was apparently left over from uninstalling SCL... I removed all of it. Then proceeded to downgrade the rest of the items.

My problem was fixed when I downgraded DCC and perl-CGI-FormMagick at the same time... (I did those last 2 together and the others inividually trying to isolate the problem). So it appears that one, the other or both off these last 2 caused my issues.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »
You must have smeupdates-testing enabled as a minimum these two are only avail from there.
perl-CGI-FormMagick-0.93-3.el6.sme.noarch and
DCC-1.3.145-25.el6.sme.x86_64 

I think it would be prudent to check what repos you have enabled
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:06:35 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Parsival1973

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 10:03:22 PM »
I will have to check... I do not recall turning it on nor know why it would have been turned on.

On the semi-positive side - a potential problem with one or the other has been encountered...

You must have smeupdates-testing enabled as these two are only avail from there.

I think it would be prudent to check what repos you have enabled

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »
I will have to check... I do not recall turning it on nor know why it would have been turned on.

# /sbin/e-smith/audittools/repositories

above to list what you have and below to see their full details

# db yum_repositories show

On the semi-positive side - a potential problem with one or the other has been encountered...

Maybe, I have at least two on a prod system
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Parsival1973

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »
Testing was enabled and I have since turned it off already.

Currently everything is working peachy keen again...  8-)

# /sbin/e-smith/audittools/repositories

above to list what you have and below to see their full details

# db yum_repositories show

Maybe, I have at least two on a prod system

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 10:47:16 PM »
Excellent news.

Well done for keeping cool and following things through.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline peewee3ie

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
I hope someone can help me. I have the same problem as the OP of this thread.

I would like to know what did he downgrade to and also how to downgrade packages. I have tryed typing in

yum downgrade perl-CGI-FormMagick-0.93-3.el6.sme.noarch but it did not work.

This is the first time on sme server I have to downgrade packages. I am not that good with yum but ok with apt-get which I know is not in sme server

I have just worked out how to downgrade the 2 packages

perl-CGI-FormMagick-0.93-3.el6.sme.noarch and DCC-1.3.145-25.el6.sme.x86_64 and after I did "signal-event post-upgrade; signal-event reboot" my admin pages have started working
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:53:46 PM by peewee3ie »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
Please ensure that you NEVER have smetest enabled. It REALLY is only for testing and should never be used in production.

Code: [Select]
db yum_repositories show smetest
smetest=repository
    EnableGroups=yes
    GPGCheck=yes
    MirrorList=http://mirrorlist.contribs.org/mirrorlist/smetest-9
    Name=SME Server - test
    Visible=no
    status=disabled

db yum_repositories setprop smetest status disabled
signal-event yum-modify
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
Here's the post that discusses downgrading packages:
https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,51299.msg260355.html#msg260355

In this case - to downgrade the two packages mentioned earlier in this thread:

1. Get a list of the repositories that are enabled on a fresh SME install
cd /etc/e-smith/db/yum_repositories/defaults/
for f in *; do if [ "$(cat $f/status)"  == "enabled" ]; then echo $f; fi; done

Here is the output on my system:
base
smeaddons
smeextras
smeos
smeupdates
updates

2. Get a list of the repositories enabled by default on your system:
yum repolist

Here is the output on my system:
Quote from: yum repolist
repo id                                                    repo name                                                            status
base                                                       CentOS - os                                                          6,710+3
smeaddons                                                  SME Server - addons                                                       28
smeextras                                                  SME Server - extras                                                      165
smeos                                                      SME Server - os                                                        1,810
smeupdates                                                 SME Server - updates                                                     138
updates                                                    CentOS - updates                                                       250+1
repolist: 9,101

3. Disable any non-standard repositories
If ther are any repositories under item 2 that are not listed under item 1, disable them.

Possibilities include epel, smeupdates-testing, fws, stephdl, extras, etc. 

For example, if the output from item 2 included "smeupdates-testing", you would disable it using:
db yum_repositories setprop smeupdates-testing status disabled
expand-template /etc/yum.smerepos.d/sme-base.repo

4. Remove the problem packages
In this example I am using the package names indicated from earlier in this thread (in your case you would be removing the specific packages you have identified that need to be downgraded or corrected).
rpm -e --nodeps perl-CGI-FormMagick
rpm -e --nodeps DCC

5. Reinstall the packages
The yum cleanup run in steps 1 - 3 mean that when you reinstall the packages you'll get the SME versions.
yum install perl-CGI-FormMagick
yum install DCC

6. Restart whatever running services may have been affected

The easiest way to make sure you've restarted everything that might have been affected by the incorrect packages is to reboot...

signal-event post-upgrade; signal-event reboot

7. Figure out how to keep your server up-to-date with only the default repos "enabled"

It is easier than it should be (in my opinion) to get updates from the wrong repository when using yum. This has been the case since I first used SME server (v5.6, or maybe v6.01), and remains the case now.

It is extremely easy to install packages, but it becomes nearly impossible to update them reliably without running into unexpected side-effects.

I feel like I've tried everything over the years:
* enable the non-standard repos
  ==> this invariably breaks some core SME package
* leave only the default repos enabled, then resolve problems one package at a time
  ==> this makes updating take so long that I do it less frequently
* keep lists of what I've installed from where and build custom upgrade scripts
  ==> this was a challenge.
* keep only SME default packages on my SME server
  ==> This severely restricts the usefulness and usability of the SME server itself, and ends up requiring a secondary server or servers for anything not provided by default with SME.

Yum only recently introduced the capability to tell what repo a package was originally installed from.  With this capability it is possible to create a script that will only install updates to a package "pkgA" from the same repository it originally came from (or from a SME default repository, if it contains a newer version).

The wiki page at https://wiki.contribs.org/Update_contribs has a script and acquires notes on keeping a server with contribs installed up-to-date.  It's not perfect -- there are still situations where updating requires some manual package-by-package updating -- but it is far superior to any previous process I've used in the past.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
A simple solution to this is to use the yum-priority plugin. Assign core repo a higher priority, enable all 3rd party repo with a lower priority. Update everything easily with a single yum update while preventing core packages from being updated from other repo.
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
mmccarn - Fantastic analysis and How To

Thanks - saved to the pool room :-)
(you will have had to have watched an iconic Oz movie to get the ref)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline peewee3ie

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Thank you to all who has posted a reply after mine and to mmccarn who had worked out which packages caused the problem.

I have now disabled the testing files updates which was on and I am sure I did not turn them on.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
Good you got it sorted.

smetest and updates-testing are disabled by default.

They have to be manually enabled.

So either you did it and forgot, or someone else did.....
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki